Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Low battery blowing fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Low battery blowing fuse?

I had posted about my car just shutting down found out it was the 60a fuse I think it is the power steering fuse. but the guy looking at my hhr is saying that when he has it hooked up to battery charger/booster starts without blowing the fuse but unhooked it blows the fuse every time. could the alternator be week causing the battery to drain and blow fuse or something different completely?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM

dont hook up to the front posts..hook up directly to battery...common problem when trying to jump from front....next time use front posts to pop the rear hatch then hook cables to battery. The arc (surge) from disconnecting blows the fuse...
As far as shutting down..bad battery( or alternator)..under a certain amount of vvoltage the system shuts down automatically....have system tested...but no way a weak batt will blow a fuse..
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM

I didnt have it jumped off. I pumped gas went to start the car and fuse blew. now just trying to figure why
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Hit yer local auto parts store, & have them test the Battery & the Alt, it's FREE..
They can test everything with it running..

& they can put their scanner on too.. FREE also..

Then you can go from there..
Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 PM

WEnt to the local auto parts store they hooked it up and alternator and the new battery are fine. since putting in the new battery yesterday it has started fine without blowing the fuse. i drove it all day purposely making multiple start and stops an running great now. I did but extra fuses just in case though. If anything changes I'll update. Has anyone else ever have this happen?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:39 PM

I suppose a completely shorted cell might do something. But maybe changing the battery moved something off of a post. The fuse next to the battery is the "main" fuse and it is mounted on the ground lug, so frayed wires could make contact maybe?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM

it was blowing the 60a fuse under the hood
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The fuse next to the battery is the "main" fuse and it is mounted on the ground lug, so frayed wires could make contact maybe?
Just to clarify, the 50 Amp fuse next to the battery in the spare tire compartment powers the BCM functions only.

The 60 Amp fuse in the underhood fuse box is the Power Steering fuse. Sounds like someone possibly did an incorrect job of jumping the vehicle. Very common mistake on this vehicle.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM

unless they did it two months ago it wasn't jumped off but that was definitely the fuse that was blown and its still running. Will get the big test tomorrow I have to take my daughter 3 hours to a doctors appointment. I bought extra fuses just in case though
Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM

well went to the appt stopped at several places along the way and never a problem no more blown fuses since the new battery

Quick Reply: Low battery blowing fuse?