Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Lower Strut Mount Bolt/Nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 08:12 PM

Lower Strut Mount Bolt/Nut

I have a 2007 HHR LS 2.2L that I was going through the process of replacing struts and sway bar links on the front. I was able to get the passenger side off and replaced without much issue. Driver side, not as much luck there. Was able to get the 3 top mount nuts loosened fine, and 1 of the 2 lower mount bolts (ended up just cutting off the old sway bar link as those nuts weren't coming off). The 2nd lower mount bolt I was able to get the nut off, but the bolt itself is not coming out no matter how much I beat on the thing. I've now got a bolt with gummed up threads from beating on it so much, and the nut is also pretty beat up too (I flipped the nut and threaded it on until it was flush with the tip of the bolt to try and prevent the very predicament I am now in with the mangled bolt tip and threads). Any suggestions on getting this bolt out? I'm in the rust belt, so I'm 100% certain those splines are rusted into the steering knuckle something fierce, as the other bolts also had plenty of corrosion on the splines and threads when they came out. I've tried beating with a hand sledge for hours, spraying gobs of penetrating oil, more beating, and attempted to "press" it out with a C-clamp. I cannot get this thing to budge.

Also, thinking down the line here, with the threads being in pretty bad shape on the end of the bolt and the nut, I doubt I'm able to reuse this bolt and nut. Is there any way to get a replacement bolt and nut for this? I cannot find a GM part number for this bolt to save my life, and every search I put out there comes up empty. I highly doubt I can find this at a parts store or hardware store anywhere because of the splined design for the portion that sits in the knuckle. Anyone know where I could possibly source this? Or is there an alternate part number that anyone knows of that cross-references to this bolt?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:15 PM

The 2 bolts just need to be whacked out with a punch/drift/screwdriver and a BFHammer. If you tried to twist them out you probably did damage to the knuckle.
Would it be too difficult to walk into a GM parts department and ask?
Old 05-03-2020, 12:28 AM

Not sure which bolt you need. If they're rusty, you should replace them all. Diagram and part numbers are here.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...ey_model=14513
Old 05-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I suggest you replace all 4 nuts and bolts, and apply never seize
Old 05-03-2020, 07:57 AM

That would be #6 on the diagram RJ posted, p/n 11589082
Old 05-03-2020, 08:18 AM

@donbrew I did NOT try to spin the strut bolt out as I'm very aware of those splines in the knuckle. I was able to tap the other 3 bolts out without much issue, I just got hung up with this last one. I tried tapping/hammering the bolt out just like I did the the rest of them and this one just will not budge. My guess is those splines are corroded and rusted together tight as there is evidence of slightly more corrosion on this side than the other side that went smoother. I let it soak overnight in hopes it getting it out with some more persuasion from my sledge. I would've checked with the dealer for that bolt, but they were long since closed by the time I realized I'd need replacement hardware on this, so I figured I would ask around if anyone had an idea for a part number (which RJ did!).

@RJ_RS_SS_350 Thanks for the link. I was not able to find any parts diagrams anywhere that actually showed that bolt and nut in them. The bolt #6 (11589082) that donbrew pointed out is what I will need, along with nut #4 (11514598).
Old 05-03-2020, 08:47 AM

Just a thought....
Is there anyway you could apply heat?
You might have a problem of igniting the penetrating fluid if you use an open flame without out care and caution.
I have a large Hair dryer that I have used in some cases with my boating business and salt water corrosion.
If you use it to close for a longer time it may automatically shut off but less chance of a flare up.
Let it cool and try again. Be Patient.

SF
Old 05-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Administrator

I pondered the press out with a ball joint press, but it could be the parts palaces aren’t open at this time. I have in desperate measures use a 6 inch bench vise, I held it while my trusty side kick wrench man Dan turned the vise screw, I placed a socket over the head of the splined end and after a few turns it popped, darned salt brined roads !
Old 05-03-2020, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Bigger hammer.............
Old 05-03-2020, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Sister Sledge!

Quick Reply: Lower Strut Mount Bolt/Nut