Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

map lights won't turn off... grrr can't find answer

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:34 AM

map lights won't turn off... grrr can't find answer

I've searched all over and can't find nothing.. checked doors, hit the dimmer, hit the switches nothing. Wife went to start her HHR this morning now we can't get them to turn off for 20 minutes when the car kills the power.

I ended up pulling the fuse, but to get my daughter in and out will be a major pita at night.

The car has no other strange things going on just this.

I've heard BCM possibly but 1000 from stealership is a little absurd.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Deceased

First question, you didn't change the map lights out for LED bulbs perhaps? The LED's can stay illuminated due to a phenomenon called "current latching".

If you still have the regular bulbs, you may have a door switch that's stuck "open", sometimes manually working each door switch plunger by hand a few times can break up any corrosion that may have it acting up.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Do they stay on for hours? They are supposed to stay on for a few minutes, and they are supposed to go off after a many minutes if you forgot to push the button. I left the light on overnight on my 2011 then it did go out by itself, but came back on when I started the car.

Have you looked in the Owner Manual for operating instructions? If you don't have one they are available online on this forum, use the search tool.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

If you did try the dimmer switch, (the wheel thingy on the dash) does it seem to dim the other lights as it's supposed to? If not, you could have a bad dimmer switch.
The other suggestions posted are also some good ones to check out.

Another suggestion. Try the disconnecting the battery fix. About 10 mins. or so may reset the BCM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Good morning low_k3y,

I certainly can understand your frustration with this concern. If you would provide me with your VIN through private message, I'll gladly do a little research to see if there is some resolution through our internal resources. I look forward to your response and assisting you.

Marlea W.
Chevrolet Customer Service

Originally Posted by low_k3y
I've searched all over and can't find nothing.. checked doors, hit the dimmer, hit the switches nothing. Wife went to start her HHR this morning now we can't get them to turn off for 20 minutes when the car kills the power.

I ended up pulling the fuse, but to get my daughter in and out will be a major pita at night.

The car has no other strange things going on just this.

I've heard BCM possibly but 1000 from stealership is a little absurd.