Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Maybe fuses......

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Maybe fuses......

I think I owe the forum another note of thanks. This weekend, as I was just about to get back on the road after a brief stop in a 600 mile trip, I noticed that I didn't have any gauges. The speedometer and tach were at 0, and the doors hadn't locked as I turned onto the road.
I shut the engine off, paused for a couple of seconds, and restarted the engine (a couple of trys), but still nothing. The engine ran, the lights were on, but no gauges.
It was pouring down the rain, but I popped the hood, jumped out, and popped open the fuse cover, pushed in the fuses, and voila, the gauges returned.
Now, I had read the notes here on the fuses, and had checked mine before, they were loose, and I reset them a couple of months ago. So, I don't know that the fuses were the cause of the problem, and it was hard to tell due to the darkness and the rain pouring down my back... but.. if felt like some of the fuses pressed in, and the gauge problem hasn't happened again.

So... in my optimistic opinion... the fuses were the culprit, and to all of you here, my deepest thanks for helping me avoid waiting on a tow truck in the pouring rain. You guys rock!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Definitely sounds like a fuse problem. Glad to hear all is back to normal. Guess I'll check mine once again just to make sure they are snug.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:36 PM

was cleaning under the hood yesterday, and sure enough the fuses were loose AGAIN!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
jx3

As I posted in May........

Originally Posted by jx3
Make sure that checking the fuses is part of your maintenance when changing the oil. I had checked and reseated all the loose fuses after finding this info, and just for the hell of it, I rechecked them after having the oil changed. Had found some of them loosened up again.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM

Yep...I had a few loose again too. We were under the hood today pulling off the CGS, as the hood struts were rubbing against it and adjustments needed to be made. Thanks for the post...I'll be sure to check more often.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Yep. it is a recurring problem (and should be addressed by GM).

I recommend checking ALL the fuses and re-seating them monthly.

It should be part of your underhood maintenance regime.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:19 PM

I just got back from about an 80 mile round trip on the Interstate. I stopped at the tole booth then as began to merge again I noticed the same thing. My gauages were not lit up. Engine ran fine, radio and air were working. I looked for the first place to pull over I could and by then thee guage lights had came back on. Then I remembered the fuses and the fact that around a third of mine were loose when I bought it. That was just on this past Sat. I may make checking the fuse box a weekly thing (maybe even "pre-flight" if I'm gonna be in heavy traffic.)

I checked them when I got home and for the life of me could not tell which one on the diagram on the lid was for the guages. I did have a couple loose already. I’ve put over 250 miles on it since I bought it and checked the fuses the first time on Sat.

Just another confirmation. At least it’s a problem we can get to easily.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:39 PM

According to the manual...page 5-86, #62 is for the Instrument Panel.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:34 PM

Thanks CHB, that was one of them there little bugers (20a) and it wasn't one that was loose, sheeze.

I think someone mentioned this in an early post/thread, but worth repeating, one has to use caution and put the fuse lid back on carefully and Straight down or the dividers in the lid, or the sides of the lid will knock one loose. Poorly designed lid.

Oh, yea.... the manual, now where did I put that.