Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Metal shavings in oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 10:58 PM

Metal shavings in oil

2006 2.4 264k miles

First of all, MUCH thanks to all those who have helped me over the years fix this beast and keep it going, I use it for work and it feeds my family.

My last oil change I noticed a shine to my oil but I was too busy to be able to look into it and kind of forgot about it. Just did another oil change and It's still there and you could even see it on the dip stick before the oil was changed. No symptoms or changes in performance.. yet.

I don't know where to begin on this and because I won't be able to do any extensive repair until I have another vehicle secured I'm having to continue to drive it.

One thing I did do was run a magnet through the oil to see if it was steel or aluminium.. nothing stuck to the magnet..

Any advice or knowledge of what to expect?
Attached Thumbnails Metal shavings in oil-metaloil.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 12:19 AM

Contaminated Oil

I have never had a problem like this with an Ecotec motor but my guess would be pull the valve cover and look at the chain guides. If it's running ok it's doubtful you will find much else. There are some really sharp people in this group that should have a rock solid idea for you. I sure wouldn't drive if I could avoid it. Even relatively soft aluminum which I think you are seeing will damage bearings and cylinder walls and oil seals. I'm probably just lucky but I ran last 2.4 almost 200k with no chain issues at all. Motor was quiet and used no oil between changes just like it did at 30k. My current 06 HHR 2.4 has 52k so we have a ways to go before a problem would even cross my mind. I use Mobil1 in all my cars except Porsche and think it's pretty darned good
Old 02-22-2021, 08:43 AM
Administrator

As the timing chain gets loose it rubs the outside edge of the chain, you will see flat spots worn on the chain, now that would be magnetic.
Aluminium filings can also be from loose chains running , you should hear that noise.

Hard to see but the flat spots on the top of the timing chain links are there
Old 02-22-2021, 09:37 AM

I will do an inspection ASAP.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Metal shavings in the oil means you should quit running the engine or driving it. Until you find the cause and fix it. And don't say "I have to use it". If you do, you risk the probability of total engine failure.

FYI. I recall you replaced the water pump recently ? Had a whine noise after that work ? You may want to check that area too for the source of the metal shavings.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

UnknownError- Wow, that is an awful lot of non-ferrous alloy shavings on the dipstick, unless some are foaming oil ? But I use M1 one as well, & never had it foam.
I hear you on the gotta keep driving it. But that is just gonna make repairs much more costly.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:53 PM

@firemangeorge Yes I did indeed change the water pump and had a whine that got a bit quieter but never went away entirely. Doing some reading and youtubing someone mentioned that it was the tensioner and it needed to be reset but because you had to open the chain cover to do so I was just going to replace the timing set anyway when I got around to it. Life happens tho and I have very limited resources and a large family in which I am the only one who works so it's hard to find time for anything.
I was able to pop the valve cover off today and took lots of pictures hoping someone would see something wrong and I found a couple problems.. The chain does sag and compared to the pic from @Oldblue, my top chain guide is bent and missing the nylon piece. (What on earth would cause it to bend like that?)

I have the CLOYES 94201SAWP and the timing chain guide bolt that I read should also be replaced in my cart. Do I need anything else?

If replacing the timing chain doesn't solve the shavings issue what else could it be?

On a side note because it was mentioned by @syclone and @sleeper: I've been using amazon basics high mileage full synthetic for a few years now and never had an issue with it. It is made by Warren Distribution and licensed to sell thru amazon making it an affordable alternative to something name brand.
This guy has a few videos that include it in tests and even this one that compares it to M1:

Attached Thumbnails Metal shavings in oil-2.jpg   Metal shavings in oil-10.jpg   Metal shavings in oil-4.jpg  
Old 02-25-2021, 06:34 PM

The upper guide is so bent because the chain is so loose that the chain has been slapping the guide. You probably have the other upper guide broken or maybe the bolt for it is broken. That chain is so loose, I'm surprised that the engine isn't ruined already. You definitely should not attempt to start it again.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
... That chain is so loose, I'm surprised that the engine isn't ruined already. You definitely should not attempt to start it again.

^^^ That!
Old 02-25-2021, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

I know there's a lot of miles on that engine but there appears to be a lot of sludge and wear on those cam lobes.

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in oil