Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Metal shavings in oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Looks like you might just snug up that bolt. I haven’t had any issues replacing timing chain and then water pump problems, but the rule of thumb is while you have it apart, replace the water pump. Not always required as in your case.
what brand did you install?
Old 03-18-2021, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by UnknownError
I don't trust loaner torque tools they can be abused and not perform accurately. I do have some torque wrenches but they've been in the garage not used in a couple years and I heard that can also make them inaccurate so I hope there is a little leeway when using them.

This logic is confusing;
rental torque wrench might be in accurate, (internet wisdom)
properly stored wrench may be inaccurate, (internet wisdom)
QED: it is better to guess at torque settings than to use a tool that might not be exactly right.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:02 PM

That's not the pump leaking, it is a loose bolt. The weep hole is at the top in a recess (stupid place).
Old 03-18-2021, 07:54 PM

okay I will tighten it up and see if it helps! The brand of water pump I installed in 2019 was OAW.
@donbrew: I was told by the employees before that because the auto part stores don't rent breaker bars (at least not the O'reilly's I was at, in not the best neighborhood) they will rent the torque wrench instead and use it as a breaker bar. Rented tools are just prone to abuse like this and subject to being dropped and other accidents that you will never know about. I once rented a tie rod end remover and when I got it home the pieces I needed were broken in half (d'oh!) With the torque wrenches I own I know that they haven't been compromised by misuse except you are supposed to keep them in a climate controlled environment (unlike my garage) because the temp changes causes the metal springs to contract and expand therefore loosing it's accuracy. So before I did any work I used a vice, bolt, and luggage scale to see how accurate it is. But I certainly agree that using the proper tool that may be out of whack a little is better than not. Prime example: I didn't use a torque wrench (was trying to use the ft-lbs torque wrench instead of the inch-lbs cause I read the specs wrong and it was too big to fit back there) when replacing the exhaust manifold and broke the stud off in the head! I'm currently trying to extract it.. We all have our own experiences in life that lead us to our way of thinking and the decisions we make (in my case plenty of mistakes) but one thing is for sure.. I appreciate all the input and help given here, ya'll help so many people I am forever grateful!
P.S.
My chilton manual says the chain cover bolts including the water pump bolt are 18ft-lbs so I will be double checking them after I get this pesky stud out.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:28 AM

This is true. Before I bought my own 1/2" drive torque wrench, I got a loaner from AZ. I went out in their parking lot to torque my lug nuts. Popped my extension and socket on, put it on the first lug nuts. It was already in the loosen position. Barely started to turn it. The square drive broke off the torque wrench. It was challenging getting it out of my extension. AZ didn't seem bothered. The square drive had been super glued back to the torque wrench!They refunded my money, no problem.

You may find that your lbs. foot torque wrench isn't accurate at such a low setting. Might be better to convert to lbs. inch, and use the appropriate 1/4" drive.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:31 PM

Walk around any auto shop and point to a torque wrench. Most shade tree mechanics get over anal about torque. One reason for the torque-angle specs.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:25 PM

I checked the water pump bolt, it was at its spec torque.. even with the engine off it has a slow drip. I monitored it while tightening the bolt some more to where it seemed pretty tight I didn't want to push it any further and the drip never stopped. I took a video of it and looks like it is coming from the left which would be towards the front of the vehicle. The only thing I can think of that happened is when installing the balance shaft chain the pump sprocket did spin around back and forth while I was fiddling around trying to get the chain on but figured it was no big deal. I park in my garage and can easily see when something ends up on the floor and I've had no coolant loss until I replaced the chain.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Give all the water pump bolts a slight tightening, is the bolt from the front cover tight? Are both tight?

Old 03-19-2021, 10:31 PM

I tightened all 4 13mm bolts for the water pump and I had to call it day so I won't know if it worked 100% or not till later but they are on there tight. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable to tighten them more unless I've had a few beers in me. From my understanding; when I originally changed the pump, I got a whining noise meaning the chain was too tight. If that's the case, maybe a year and four months of driving it like that caused the pump to be pulled in one direction so when I changed the chain it created slack in the seal that was made from the extra force applied from the chain.. I dunno just a theory I had. I have a question tho, I know the weep hole is on top but what is the larger opening on the side that faces the front of the car?
Old 03-20-2021, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Nothing specific

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in oil