Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Metal shavings in oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 01:26 AM

Tightening the bolts did not stop the leak. After work today I decided I would try to loosen the bolts a little bit and re-torque them to make sure everything was flush. It didn't help. I was examining the new pump I got with the chain kit trying to figure out why a loose bolt would cause coolant to leak the way it is and used an inspection camera to see where the coolant was coming from. It is coming from the port facing the front. I looked up the pics from my old water pump and that's where the water marks also appear. I was going to change it tonight but was worried that I would run into a snag (because I always do) that would prevent me from sleeping or getting to work in the morning. I also found a video that shows what i'm talking about and points out where the coolant drips which is exactly where my drip is. No need to post a time stamp it's all in beginning.
The good news is I already have the sprocket tool needed for the job I think all I need is some extra dex-cool and the kids to be at school.
On another note; I've had a clunk/rattle in my steering that I've gotten rid of in the past but has been creeping back and have been trying to figure out what it was and replacing the motor mount when doing the chain exposed not just how bad the motor mount was but how bad the ball joints are on the lower control arms. It really exacerbated the problem! At first I thought it was the intermediate shaft or steering column seeing that most everything else had been done and those have never been touched but when I had the car up tonight I grabbed the wheel and gave it the 12:6 and 3:9 o'clock position shake and it was pretty obvious it was the ball joints. I didn't suspect the LCA because I've replaced them 3 times already but I guess those bushings just don't last long, I thought maybe I was just getting bad batches or it was poor quality control.. maybe it is those but I also put a lot of hard miles on this car and we get some pretty gnarly pot holes in these roads. Luckily for me I have a lifetime warranty on them so I've only paid for one set last 3 times and should be able to do it while the car is up for the pump. I will just have to keep topping off the coolant till the end of the Wednesday before I can start. Then I will get to see what's next! You guys being here gives me lots of confidence to be able to do all this work knowing that I can ask for help! Became a member to show my appreciation.
Lesson learned for today: I'm a doof who should have replaced the pump along with the chain.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Live and learn, you got this! Take your time and get it done.