Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My SS is in the shop again

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM

I don't think it's fair to compare a F-150 to an HHR for reliability. I drove a '83 S-10 for seventeen years and worked it hard. Never even had to adjust the clutch linkage. Brakes, tires and a muffler at around year 10.

My Suburban (recently wrecked) was built in Mexico and I didn't find any workmanship problems in six years of driving it.

There is a TSB on the sticking door lock. The problem occurs because the hole in the trim panel is a little too small, and rubs on the lock button. If I ever need the door panel taken off, I'll make sure someone reams out the hole a bit, but it's really just a minor irritation that I can live with.

As far as parts quality is concerned, GM sources parts from all over the world, regardless where they actually assemble the vehicle. I'm a newbie here, but a couple of you guys seem awfully quick to condemn a vehicle that offers a lot of good features at a very modest price.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stan M
As far as parts quality is concerned, GM sources parts from all over the world, regardless where they actually assemble the vehicle. I'm a newbie here, but a couple of you guys seem awfully quick to condemn a vehicle that offers a lot of good features at a very modest price.
No doubt that HHR's offer a lot for the price, but I think GM cut a lot of corners to get there. I am not expecting BMW quality here, I just want something reliable. My S-10 was in a similar price range when I bought it, and parts on it are just made better.

Also, I am not a big fan of this foreign made, global crap either. It's no wonder this country's economy is in shambles. It really inspires a lot of confidence, when I get a new set of SS wheels, and they say "MADE IN TAIWAN" on the back.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sheverlay
No doubt that HHR's offer a lot for the price, but I think GM cut a lot of corners to get there. I am not expecting BMW quality here, I just want something reliable. My S-10 was in a similar price range when I bought it, and parts on it are just made better.

Also, I am not a big fan of this foreign made, global crap either. It's no wonder this country's economy is in shambles. It really inspires a lot of confidence, when I get a new set of SS wheels, and they say "MADE IN TAIWAN" on the back.
Exactly my thoughts. Some cars suprise with you regarding the level of quality. Others like the Neons of old are throw away disposable cars. They really start to show their inadequacies after a year or two. Was hoping that the HHR was going to be better then it is. Again, I don't expect a BMW or Lexus......but for the price they charge to buy a new vehicle....come on. Hopefully fir their sake with the downsizing they can put more effort into each car they make.....if they can get some of the buyers back that they have already lost to the imports. Doesn't help that some companies have really stepped up their game (ie Hyundai).

For me, I want to know if it will be good in 5yrs from now...none of this JDS Power Initial Quality bull**** (like having a snowman for a pet-sucks come summer-time). I am thinking about dropping my HHR (as soon as I have even equity in it) for an older 2005 GMC Safari Van. That 4.3 motor, like the the 3.1 or the 5.7l V8 are tried, tested and true.....nowadays with GM, you never know what you'll get
Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 AM

I read all the stories about HHR problems. Mine has had no issues except for stuck ignition key. I just turned 56K miles this weekend. Other than new tires and oil changes that has been it for repaits and maintenance.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stan M
There is a TSB on the sticking door lock. The problem occurs because the hole in the trim panel is a little too small, and rubs on the lock button.

My 09 SS has been nearly flawless... I DID have the above issue and fixed it myself, easily: I merely removed the door-lock pull-knob (twists off--use rag and firm grip with pliers).. I then "reamed" out the hole just a little bit with a drill.. Replaced knob and has worked great thereafter...

Maybe I've been fortunate... Car has 10k miles... It's been very good to me...
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sargechris
Maybe I've been fortunate... Car has 10k miles... It's been very good to me...
I got my '08 on November 3rd. The odometer turned over 20,000 miles while I was test driving it. Have put about 3,500 on it since then, and except for the fact that it's too damn SMALL I really like the HHR.

Of course I just downsized from a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 150 inch wheelbase, so I will just have to adapt. I have to carry a lot of stuff for my job, including clothing. And I suppose my worst complaint is that the two coat hooks are ridiculously small. One hanger each, and that's it. I think they're too teensy to support a clothing bar. Will have to work out something.

But it is a real hoot, filling up a 16 gallon gas tank, after driving a vehicle that had a 44 gallon one. With the 'Burb I got in the habit of filling up only to around the halfway mark, because the weight of a full tank of gas cost me about 2 mpg.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM

I am sorry to hear your troubles but you are speaking such blasphemy to say the F word on our GM site is just terrible. The fit and finish on F*%$# is horrible. Please use your noggin.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM

Also, I am not a big fan of this foreign made, global crap either. It's no wonder this country's economy is in shambles.
That has nothing to do with the 'shambles' the economy is in.

My only gripe about my SS is the Stereo...not worth the $750 and the lack of usable cup holders.

I had the DS rocker repainted because the door was installed improperly and scratched the paint.

Had it in the garage since the first week of December and drove it today....singin back in the saddle again...

I'm a Ford guy but in all fairness look at the other automotive sties and no matter the make and model the complaints outweigh the compliments.....and many times it is the dealer that either fixes a problem to your satisfaction or doesn't and you[we] grip on an internet site.

IMHO it is the attitude and business practice that has resulted in spotty quality and not because of foreign influence. In decades past America seemed to always do it better, bigger and faster than anyone else.....and I'm sure we can again.

We are driving very complicated automobiles in this day and age. Anything man made is gonna break and as many have suggested in other threads involving problems that reoccur or improperly fixed, try a different dealer. Like any business, some are better than others.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 AM

I would certainly like a bit more volume from the stereo speakers. One of the classical stations I listen to undermodulates its signal and at 65 mph you sometimes can't hear much. Ditto for some of my jazz CDs. (Yeah, I listen to just about everything. The curse of being a musician...)

Those cup holders drive me bats. My 'Burb had adequate ones, and of course if there is anything superior about the Caravans of the 90s it was the number and convenience of places to park drink containers.

I have always attempted to stay away from F**d products. Less because of any quality issues than because of the horrible way the company is managed. I wrote and reported auto industry news for an e-zine for over three years, and read a lot more of this stuff than most people. One of the reasons GM got into trouble around 2000 was that F**d went out of its way to torpedo a merger deal between GM and one of the Asian manufacturers. It was a tactic intended solely to delay the deal by a year and make it cost GM many millions more than the original transaction. IMO you gain market share by building a product that the customer wants, and offering it at an attractive price. Trying to sink the competition is not cricket. Of course, GM has been its own worst enemy by continuing to build so many different brands that compete with each other, but that's a whole 'nuther story, and WAY off-topic.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Anyone know why they are no longer making the Vibe....it seems to be a car that was working well for them and always sold well. My pops (GM Manager at a Dealer) always said the Vibes were the only car they could still lease when they cancelled leasing altogether. It was due to the high resale value. I know it was a joint effort with Toyota.....so maybe the contrat expired and ties were severed? Don't know for sure....too bad. Our Vibe has been a gem.

Quick Reply: My SS is in the shop again