Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:44 AM

How about a CV joint?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
ecl

its not lowered its stock
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Did you look for anything unusual under the car. Could be something wrapped around the axle/CV joint....
Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ecl
its not lowered its stock
Old 01-31-2009, 07:28 PM

i have an 09 LS half panel that makes noise from the front right side as well when pulling into elevated parking entrances and driving straight over speed bumps-- i took it into the dealership a few days later after it made the same noise several times--- i did the obvious checks: make sure theres no ice or slush built up under the fender etc... and looked for obvious damages-- found nothing visible... i think its possibly the shock absorber groaning or possibly something to do with the ball joints/control arms -- dead bearings or bearings that are going usually clunk upon motion, changing direction (forward/reverse or left/right) and are usually a constant noise -- do the old fassioned grab the top of the wheel and push and pull it rappidly with force to see if it clunks, if not im gonna hafta say its something to do with suspension...

once theres no snow/ice possible im going to take the tire off and look at the components, might even be something to do with the brakes since most people are applying brakes while turning into a driveway, might be so much as the pads shifting in the calipers against the rotor... who knows :S when i find out ill share what ive found

see also:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/clunk-front-end-20926/
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
ecl

well its happening at any turn, even just turning the wheel while sitting in the parking lot. havent had any snow lately so no slush, ice possibly but talked to the dealer the that evening and they say nothing is wrong. I call bull since it was doing it going on to the tow truck. We'll see when I go to pick it up in a few hours, and if makes any noise im not going to be happy and and this dealers not going to like me. Figures they would do this, this dealer sucks they have the worse reputation of any of dealers around here but we'll see wish I was able to take it to were I bought they were great. Oh well thats life we'll see what happens.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
ecl

Ok well they were suprisingly nice and helpful, and it doesnt make the noise any more so it must have been just ice or what he said and have been a rock. Oh well I got her back and every things good, will see if it starts up again. thanks for the fast responses everyone.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 AM

I have an 08 Shadow LT with only 3k miles and have the same problem. It's cold here in Chicago and the problem only happens on a relatively tight turn and only for the first few turns when it's cold. When it warms up, you can't repeat the noise. I'm having a hard time understanding what could make such a noise, yet go away once the parts are warmed up. To me it sounded like a classic cv joint clunking. I just picked up the car from Chevy service. They replaced the entire left side half shaft and it still makes the same noise. The mechanic seems genuine in that he agreed with my initial diagnosis. I had to leave the car there overnight so he could drive it cold. He was able to reproduce the noise and agreed to replace the cv joint which requires the half shaft replacement. This morning, with the new part, and cold, he was surprised to hear the same noise. He then drove a new 09 which made the same noise. He's baffled. He is logging this issue with the GM tech department but cannot explain the source. He also admitted that unless there are a large volume of complaints raised to Chevrolet corp, little will be done to investigate a root cause.

If anyone is lucky enough to have a similar problem resolved, please post what the solution is here. The noise sounds like a rubbing/clunking noise, with no evidence of tire rub or snow in the wheel well or around any drivetrain parts.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM
ecl

Glad to hear I was the only one. Doesnt make the noise at all now cold or warm oh well time will tell. I just keep thinking I should have had them check the hatch while it was there may end up taking it in one morning to let them hear the noise since the last time I had it in for that they couldnt get it to make that noise either.