Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need some help w/the ac not working properly!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Here is a further update.... Ac is blowing cold air once more. But have found out I have to play w/blend switch to get it to blow cold air. What I mean is I dial it all the way to max cold(warm air) and then 3 clicks clockwise and at that third click cold air is pushed thru the vents. Leaning toward the blend door actuator but having trouble finding, read alot of post on here and some say that this perticular actuator is behind glove box, but I have no luck finding it. Any pics or diagrams on where and how to get to this part is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by kvnmccar
Here is a further update.... Ac is blowing cold air once more. But have found out I have to play w/blend switch to get it to blow cold air. What I mean is I dial it all the way to max cold(warm air) and then 3 clicks clockwise and at that third click cold air is pushed thru the vents. Leaning toward the blend door actuator but having trouble finding, read alot of post on here and some say that this perticular actuator is behind glove box, but I have no luck finding it. Any pics or diagrams on where and how to get to this part is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Having trouble to get it to blow cold air or any air?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Happy13178
Having trouble to get it to blow cold air or any air?
At first there was no cold air on any of the blend settings. Got some good advice from an old friend to replace the ac relay underneath the hood, did that and boom we have cold air but only if the blend switch is three clicks or more from the max cold setting. Glad that we have cold air on at least some of the settings but I am thinking I would like to know where and how to get to this blend door actuator, just in case the problem gets worse in time.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 PM

At first there was no cold air on any of the blend settings. Got some good advice from an old friend to replace the ac relay underneath the hood, did that and boom we have cold air but only if the blend switch is three clicks or more from the max cold setting. Glad that we have cold air on at least some of the settings but I am thinking I would like to know where and how to get to this blend door actuator, just in case the problem gets worse in time.
I had a problem like that....I had the Butyl patch problem, which led to water dripping onto my cabin filter and in through the vent system. In winter, moisture built up and froze, cracked the actuator cam, which meant the blend door wouldn't move from one setting to the other. I brought it in to the dealer and it took them 2 days to get at the part to fix it, because it's buried deep underneath the dash...not an expensive part, but labour would have been insane if it wasn't under warranty at the time.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 PM

The "blend switch" should always be all the way to blue (counter-clockwise) for A/C operation unless you want it to blow warmer than coldest air. I have noticed that some people think that it should be in the straight up position for normal everyday operation, THIS IS INCORRECT. All the way counter-clockwise = coldest, warm air mixes in as you turn it clockwise, just because it's in the blue does not mean COLD just degrees of not WARM. In the red is degrees of not COOL. The dial should be labelled "coldest" to the left and "hottest" to the right, forget about blue and red.

Did that make sense?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The "blend switch" should always be all the way to blue (counter-clockwise) for A/C operation unless you want it to blow warmer than coldest air. I have noticed that some people think that it should be in the straight up position for normal everyday operation, THIS IS INCORRECT. All the way counter-clockwise = coldest, warm air mixes in as you turn it clockwise, just because it's in the blue does not mean COLD just degrees of not WARM. In the red is degrees of not COOL. The dial should be labelled "coldest" to the left and "hottest" to the right, forget about blue and red.

Did that make sense?
I agree Don, Max cold air is all the way counter clockwise but when our switch is that perticular setting(max/or full counter clockwise) there is nothing but warm air blowing. Only get cold air when I turn it 3 clicks clockwise from the max setting. It sounds weird but that is how it is working! Can be a little nerve wracking! As well!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe your switch is getting wonky ..
Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM

I agree Don, Max cold air is all the way counter clockwise but when our switch is that perticular setting(max/or full counter clockwise) there is nothing but warm air blowing. Only get cold air when I turn it 3 clicks clockwise from the max setting. It sounds weird but that is how it is working! Can be a little nerve wracking! As well!
I must have mis-understood, sounds like the switch or the door slipped a gear. I was reminded about the centered position by my wife who is of the firm belief that you set it to "neutral" to get plain outside air, and then oddly the same week as that discussion I got into my neighbor's brand new car in 80 degree weather she had the thing set in "neutral" and was complaining about the A/C not working.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM

...Only get cold air when I turn it 3 clicks clockwise from the max setting...

Any update? I have the same exact problem, but it seems to happen randomly but I can almost always force the problem when I've used the AC, stopped the car to get out to do something (shop, gas, etc...) and when I re-start the car it blows warm/hot air until I back othe cold air 2-3 click clockwise from max cold. This morning it happened as I was driving to work.

I will look at the coolant and other ideas presented in this thread.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM

For what it's worth, perhaps it is the Blend Door Actuator

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...uestid=2475716

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f80cb2dda

I may order and see if this fixes my problem if all other recommended ideas fail to fix my issue.

Found it cheaper here:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...parttype=10721

Last edited by HHR_KY; 07-26-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added rockauto.com link

Quick Reply: Need some help w/the ac not working properly!