Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need tech help, crash damage, no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Exclamation Need tech help, crash damage, no start

I'm working on an 2007 HHR that was hit in the front left corner. The front plug connecter on the transaxel was pushed into the trans., and some wires were cut on the plug harness outside. No other apparent damage to to wiring harness, fuse box or engine.
All looks good on DIC in run position. No indication of start lockout. In start position - No turnover, no fuel pressure, all dash lights and indicators go out.
Bypassed start relay in run pos. - eng. cranks, but no start. All fuses ck good.
My question is if there is posible damage in the trans. to the wiring of the front conn., would that cause a no start on the eng. and can the internal conn. be pulled out to ck for damage or do we need to tear the trans. apart to ck.
And should the eng. be able to start with this plug disconnected?

This is way too much fun.
Thanks for you time.
Kicn
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Bent pins,
connector damage internal.. ???
Old 09-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

What does the FSM say? Are you familiar with the electrical systems on modern GM vehicles?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:56 AM

No bent pins
Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 PM

What's a FSM thingy? lol
I hav'nt had the codes read, but as in a case of a cut wire somewhere in the harness on pass wrecked vehicals I've worked on, reading codes never helped much unless it was an security issue - bad key chip, or module, ect;. They have never been able to pinpoint a cut wire with codes.
This maybe diffrent

Where I live, no shops have to diag. equipment for a 2007. I would have to haul it 80 mi. to a dealer to get the codes read. lol
Way too much fun.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kicn
I'm working on an 2007 HHR that was hit in the front left corner. The front plug connecter on the transaxel was pushed into the trans., and some wires were cut on the plug harness outside. No other apparent damage to to wiring harness, fuse box or engine.
All looks good on DIC in run position. No indication of start lockout. In start position - No turnover, no fuel pressure, all dash lights and indicators go out.
Bypassed start relay in run pos. - eng. cranks, but no start. All fuses ck good.
My question is if there is posible damage in the trans. to the wiring of the front conn., would that cause a no start on the eng. and can the internal conn. be pulled out to ck for damage or do we need to tear the trans. apart to ck.
Has the car been run since it received the front end damage? If not, it may need to have the fuel cut-off reset. How hard of a hit did it take? When Stitch I got in the wreck in February, the jolt triggered an electric fuel pump cutoff which also killed the starter, it's a safety feature. (never found out how to reset it, though, since the car got totalled.)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Banned

FSM = Factory Service Manual. Maybe the shop that's 80 miles away has one.

I really hope this is your personal vehicle and not a customer's car. If you run the codes, the computer will have the codes stored for the last no-start condition and it should tell you exactly where to start looking for a malfunctioning part.

Also, the transmission will not function without computer control. Fix the harness and connector.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kicn

This is way too much fun.
Thanks for you time.
Kicn
Was the battery disconnected or the battery dead? IF so this could be your problem;

HHR - No crank/no start after battery disconnect or battery failure.
Reprogram keys into Theft Deterrent Module
Don't replace module, ignition lock cylinder, ECM or BCM
Reference Information/Bulletin 06-06-04-058

Better check with Mr. Goodwrench.
Good luck.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
FSM = Factory Service Manual. Maybe the shop that's 80 miles away has one.

I really hope this is your personal vehicle and not a customer's car. If you run the codes, the computer will have the codes stored for the last no-start condition and it should tell you exactly where to start looking for a malfunctioning part.

Also, the transmission will not function without computer control. Fix the harness and connector.
hhrcrafty is right....It shouldn't start. Fix the outer wiring first, but you cannot pull the harness out because the connector is "T" shaped inside the case. There is probably enough slack to have prevented the harness from disconnecting from the Pressure Switch Manifold on the Valve Body inside.
Don't pull on the "pin frame" (outer rim edge of the exposed harness) because they will come out of the harness. If that happens, replacing the harness is a major rebuild requiring removal of trans from the car and a tear down to the sprocket face.

Clare