Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Newcomer to Forum(Key Problem)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
IF the parts are available!!!!!!! should be in April 2014. Read the bulletin before you get up in the dealer's face.

If the parts are not available, how could they possibly replace it?

Everybody should calm down.
Sorry, I am calm, attitude doesn't always translate to forums well.

Anyways, there is a temporary fix that GM has had a TSB for 7 years now, Dealerships should be giving these key jam insert temporary fixes to those scheduled for the April Recall swap.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 PM

That sounds more dangerous! Why not just reduce the weight on the key ring like the original TSB suggested?

If you are still alive now after 7-8 years, chances are you'll make it 30 more days.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
That sounds more dangerous! Why not just reduce the weight on the key ring like the original TSB suggested?

If you are still alive now after 7-8 years, chances are you'll make it 30 more days.
Well to be fair it said the cause of failure was from weight on the key AND driving on rough roads...

I know here in Detroit, small children are lost every day in the potholes.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by King Aires
I know here in Detroit, small children are lost every day in the potholes.
And an occasional SmartFortwo.......
Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Smile The Key problem

If you want to save a wrecker bill, simply remove the plastic housing and insert key in ignition and look for a small hole close to the end of the cylinder insert paper clip in the hole and remove entire cylinder then take it to your Dealer he can sell you a new cylinder with your key. If you are locked in the on position you will have to drive it out. Hope you got it on a recall at no charge.
Jim W
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 PM

Perhaps a reread of the OP question is needed. He says the key goes in and comes out just fine, he just can not turn it, thus start the vehicle - sound to me that he may be using an incorrect or worn key. If I recall properly his problem is not specifically the reason for the recall. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sno White
Perhaps a reread of the OP question is needed. He says the key goes in and comes out just fine, he just can not turn it, thus start the vehicle - sound to me that he may be using an incorrect or worn key. If I recall properly his problem is not specifically the reason for the recall. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct. But the part that needs replacing to fix his problem is also the part listed under recall anyways. So it is a free fix that just happens to be for the wrong reason.

I got a bit off topic with things to do in the mean time for other people who are waiting for the same part as the recall ramps up to over 2 million vehicles.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Hum, I was thinking a different scenario. The dealer (a bad one that is) could say that the failure mode did not match the failure mode of the recall and thus was not covered by the recall. That was my take, perhaps I am being a bit pessimistic – you think?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 PM

Hello DPYC 79,

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear of the vehicle concern you are experiencing. We would like the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please send us a private message that includes your contact information and VIN. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care