Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No Power at All / Key Stuck in Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM

Angry No Power at All / Key Stuck in Ignition

Okay so, I last night when leaving work I get in my car as normal, stick the key in the ignition and turn it and suddenly all of the power in the car dies. The interior light which were working when I got in died, the exterior lights died, the brake lights and the horn don't even work. Also the key became stuck and wouldn't release.

I know the battery is fine because it was just replaced not long ago. Plus the car started just fine when I left for lunch a few hours before. The car always started just fine without any issues. I checked the two fuse boxes I could find and there are not any blown fuses that I could see. I also tried to jump the car just in case and it did nothing.

I was able to free the key by finding the manual release under the steering column.

Here comes the really big issue. The car won't shift in to neutral and where I parked behind my building in the garage is not remotely accessible by a tow truck. It is a very tight spot. Any ideas?

Oh, I have an 09 HHR if that helps.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:23 AM

Check and tighten this connection at the under hood fuse box. Also check the battery cable connection at the battery.

The only way to by pass the shifter inter lock is by jump starting the car.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2014, 11:01 AM

The battery connections are good and the positive terminal is tight as well? Any other ideas?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Check the voltage with a multi meter, starting at the battery.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 AM

Does anyone know if the power issue and the key being stuck in the ignition are related? I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if these are two separate issues. Also is it possible that issue could be caused by that part that is being recalled? My HHR is out of warranty but I did just get a recall letter in the mail a few days ago so...
Old 12-02-2014, 11:23 AM

When the power goes out the key locks.
Just yesterday my battery drained completely for known stupid reasons. I had the same symptoms and it was difficult to get the jumper cables to work.

Just to be sure when you are jumping you did consult your owners manual for the correct connections? The arrow in Lucky's pic is the pos and a nut on the strut tower is neg.

Last edited by donbrew; 12-02-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NappiiRoots
Does anyone know if the power issue and the key being stuck in the ignition are related? I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if these are two separate issues. Also is it possible that issue could be caused by that part that is being recalled? My HHR is out of warranty but I did just get a recall letter in the mail a few days ago so...
From the owners manual: in part,
Column Lock Release
For vehicles with an automatic transmission, the
following procedure allows the ignition to be turned to
LOCK/OFF and ignition key to be removed in case of a
dead battery or low voltage battery.

You just received your 1st recall letter about the ignition ? Wow.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM

I suggest you nuke it from orbit

Or try to jump it connecting directly to the battery. Use another vehicle with a real battery not one of those little jump boxes.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:22 PM

If the battery is good am starting to think that maybe it was jump started incorrectly a may have blown a fuse link. Firemangeorge has the best idea at this point. Time to start checking things with a multi meter.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 AM

So I figured out the issue last night. It turns out there was an issue with the battery. Although it was new it was apparently defective. I replaced the battery and re-tighten the connector leads and voila my baby came back to life.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.

Oh, wait there is something else now. After I was able to restore power to the car, I now have trouble lights on my dash. The TPMS and Airbag trouble lights are now lit. Also a couple of the buttons on the radio are no longer functioning. Is it possible they were fried by the bad battery?

Quick Reply: No Power at All / Key Stuck in Ignition