Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No pwer steering after a dead battery jump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009 | 01:31 PM

Those codes indicate to me(a novice) a total loss of memory of the RCDLR. I see this as not a problem with the jumping of the vehicle, but the dead battery, which proceeded the jumping. IMHO your dealer is just telling you the easiest thing most people could understand.

For detail see:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...7&postcount=55

I will have to start reading ChevyMgr notices more.
Old 09-07-2009 | 02:33 PM

You guys are great with all the replies Thanks!! I think next time if it happens I will go to the back it is easy to get to and there is a grounding lug there for the negative clamp to go to..I replaced the steering fuse and reset the date and time on the radio..All seems fine now!! Again thanks for all you have contributed to this thread.. Jeff
Old 09-07-2009 | 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Those codes indicate to me(a novice) a total loss of memory of the RCDLR. I see this as not a problem with the jumping of the vehicle, but the dead battery, which proceeded the jumping. IMHO your dealer is just telling you the easiest thing most people could understand.

For detail see:

I will have to start reading ChevyMgr notices more.
Aha! Excellent info. I'll share this with the tech, as he was very adamant about the jump start causing the problem. So what this also means is don't leave the battery disconnected overnight.
Old 09-08-2009 | 02:06 PM

Actually, I suspect there was just a bunch of borderline RCDLR modules in 2008. Possibly a bad capacitor or memory backup battery that caused the memory loss. OR a save procedure(flash) was not done upon the initial factory programming. All these are just guesses. My, or it should be your worry is that if you loose power again the same programming may have to be done again. Then again it may take two or more faults to happen, such as a dead battery and the spikes and surges associated with jumping and starting a vehicle at a low voltage level for this to happen. Again, just guessing.

EDIT: The service bulletin is a "B" version, the original service bulletin may have mentioned jump starting as a possible cause.
END EDIT

Your tech, if he read, understood and extrapolated the bulletin mentioned in his service write up already knows this. Since the dealership and we on this board already know just how easy it is to do an improper job of jumping this vehicle, your techs advise to only jump at the battery is just to help eliminate problems.

I however, have come to the conclusion that we may have the best of both worlds. Sometimes just getting access to one end of the vehicle or the other is difficult do to the way we park. We HHR owners can jump from either end. A PLUS.
Old 09-09-2009 | 11:11 AM

I recently had to give a jump to my BIL, you should have seen the look on his face when I asked him which side his battery was on - then proceeded to back in on that side...
Old 09-11-2009 | 01:03 PM

Guess what? Just last night I had to jump start and used the underhood procedure. Now the remote locks dont work, may be similar to c2vette.
Old 09-11-2009 | 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Guess what? Just last night I had to jump start and used the underhood procedure. Now the remote locks dont work, may be similar to c2vette.
Similar??? It sounds exactly like c2vette problem!!!

See and refer your dealer to:
Old 09-11-2009 | 11:52 PM

Already printed out to show the service rep
Also, I am having the problem where one lock sticks (passenger rear) and I have to hit the power locks a couple times for it to completely lock/unlock. The TSB is only for the front drivers door lock, but I will take that one too to show them.
Old 09-24-2009 | 08:52 AM

Red face jannagin

hi im jannagin, my husband and i are looking to fix a problem with our hhr 2006.trying to find out where this fuse belongs for the power steering it has no #60 in it only 10, 30,and 40 being the biggest one. however in the middle of the fuse box there is one missing... weve just aquired this veicle from our neighbor and don't know a whole lot about this thing it has no manual... can you please help us out???
Old 09-24-2009 | 08:58 AM

Red face jannagin

hi im jannagin, my husband and i are looking to fix a problem with our hhr 2006.trying to find out where this fuse belongs for the power steering it has no #60 in it only 10, 30,and 40 being the biggest one. however in the middle of the fuse box there is one missing... weve just aquired this veicle from our neighbor and don't know a whole lot about this thing it has no manual... can you please help us out???

Quick Reply: No pwer steering after a dead battery jump?