Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No pwer steering after a dead battery jump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009 | 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jannagin
hi im jannagin, my husband and i are looking to fix a problem with our hhr 2006.trying to find out where this fuse belongs for the power steering it has no #60 in it only 10, 30,and 40 being the biggest one. however in the middle of the fuse box there is one missing... weve just aquired this veicle from our neighbor and don't know a whole lot about this thing it has no manual... can you please help us out???
For the Owner's Manual see this thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/

A Technical Manual can be found here:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/my-hhr-links-r-here-hhr-tech-manual-24774/

There are two fuse boxes on this vehicle, one in the engine compartment and one to the left of the passengers feet behind a plastic panel. There are fuses in both of them that effect the Electric Power Steering(EPS). In the engine compartment there is Fuse #1 which is a 60 Amp fuse. In the passenger compartment there is Fuse #19 and it is a 2 AMP.

Fuse locations and descriptions can be found on the covers of both of these fuse boxes.
Old 09-24-2009 | 08:19 PM

Another comment about jump starting the HHR. The local dealer told me to never jump start using the strut connector for the negative connector. He said they had replaced many damaged struts because of that, and to attach the negative to the block. There is one point, that I can get the clamp on, lower left front, and have used it for charging, but have not needed to jump start mine, at least not yet.
Old 09-26-2009 | 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Laco
Another comment about jump starting the HHR. The local dealer told me to never jump start using the strut connector for the negative connector. He said they had replaced many damaged struts because of that, and to attach the negative to the block. There is one point, that I can get the clamp on, lower left front, and have used it for charging, but have not needed to jump start mine, at least not yet.
I am not trying to be a smart_$$, but what does electrical ground contact have to do with damageing a strut? I think the person at the dealer is confused..Jeff
Old 09-26-2009 | 09:25 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Jeff'sHHR
I am not trying to be a smart_$$, but what does electrical ground contact have to do with damageing a strut? I think the person at the dealer is confused..Jeff
I would say dazed and confused.
Old 09-26-2009 | 11:27 AM

Is it possible the damage could occure due to heat? I'm just guessing here, but there is a pretty decent spot on the block to connect to.
Old 09-26-2009 | 11:37 AM
Founding Member

All that matters is that it is a good ground. The block or the location GM provided will work. By using the dealers logic the engine would be damaged by using the block as the ground. Either one will work.
Old 09-26-2009 | 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
All that matters is that it is a good ground. The block or the location GM provided will work. By using the dealers logic the engine would be damaged by using the block as the ground. Either one will work.
Thanks for your input. I do wonder why the Service Mgr at the local dealer would have said what he did. I've not had any issues with them, they seem fairly capable and have fixed things without causing other problems. I understand electrical, at a level a little above a novice, and know the importance of a good solid ground, especially for something like jump starting. I got the impression that he felt grounding to the strut would possibly have a problem conducting the kind of current required by the starter. This, of course is all speculation since I have not had an electrical problem, nor any strut damage. Just some random thoughts, for whatever they may or may not be worth. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-28-2009 | 12:47 PM

Dealers say a lot of things - we all do, since we are "people". Some just love to talk and talk and talk - Oh sorry.

Technically (very minutely) it would be better to attach the jumper cable directly to the engine instead of the strut. This takes the possibility of a bad cable between the body and engine out of the equation. I look at this as a worthwhile note for when our vehicles get old and have corroded electrical systems, say in 20 years. Our vehicles will last that long, wont they?

As far as the damaged strut!???