Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No radio stations in '06 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM

No radio stations in '06 HHR

Ever since I bought my '06 in August 2005, I've had problems with the stereo occasionally remaining silent after starting the car. The receiver still works (RDS picks up radio data) and all the displays work, but the radio is totally silent. The turn signals and warning bells still work, but there is no sound from stations. Originally I thought this might be due to my occasionally forgetting to manually turn off my XM radio (plugged into the auxiliary jack), but after leaving it disconnected for awhile, the problem still recurs. The only way to get the problem to reset is to shut off the car completely, then restart it - maybe once or twice. Turning off the radio and leaving it off with the engine running for awhile does not solve the problem - even temporarily. Any ideas short of changing out the entire dash unit?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Best start is to get another radio and swap it out to see if it is the unit itself. Kinda sucks but I would think its a radio issue if nothing else is being effected.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Best start is to get another radio and swap it out to see if it is the unit itself. Kinda sucks but I would think its a radio issue if nothing else is being effected.
A radio swap will mean a trip to the dealer...... these things are coaded to the VIN.

To the OP..... is it just radio stations? Does the CD work, or you get nothing....
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 AM

My 06 just lost all AM radio. FM and CD still works. Was there any resolution to the OP?

Last edited by Thylacine; 06-10-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: "any not ant" spell check got me.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM

Thylacine,

Did you experience any other symptoms with your head unit before you lost the AM stations?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Thylacine
My 06 just lost all AM radio. FM and CD still works. Was there ant resolution to the OP?
Do you get anything, such as static on AM?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Exactly the same problem in my '06 with the upgraded 260 watt radio.

After a couple of attempts, the dealer had to replace the amp unit. No problem after 5 years.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 AM

I have noticed that my radio doesn't pick up alot of stations either, even local. I thought it was just me or my radio. The CD does work fine, but my buddy's radio that has the antenna broke off gets more stations than I do. I don't really listen to the radio too much though, they either repeat their songs or is all talk & commercials.
I just didn't really think about it too much because I just chalked it up to one-of-those HHR issues of the '06. (Like So Many Others)
I Do Still Get a more steady rhythm from the dash rattle than a radio station. Oh well, Good Luck to Everybody who decides to tackle their radio reception. For now, I am just going to 'let it be'. (That was SO cheesy!!!! I Don't even Listen to the Beatles! I'm A Door's man.)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Thylacine,

Did you experience any other symptoms with your head unit before you lost the AM stations?

Not really, Michelle. But as stated thegodfather I have recently noticed that I do not get very many channels even locals on the FM side. The AM side did work while I was working in Joplin after the tornado, I noticed that the AM side did not work on 6/03/11.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Do you get anything, such as static on AM?
There is a very light static, but there is not any signal (static or otherwise) to stop the scan function. I have manually ran through the AM side and there are no signals at all. I am not even picking up static from overhead lines.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Dear Thylacine,

Thank you for the additional information. Did you contact the technicians to see what they had to say about the situation? The only reason that I am asking is because there are times that I can contact some of the General Motors dealerships in my area and they will provide me with their opinion as to what they think is going on even though I am just seeking information.

Quick Reply: No radio stations in '06 HHR