Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No Windshield defrost Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:36 AM

No Windshield defrost Air

I have a new to me, 2007 HHR. This is the first car I have had where it DOES NOT blow air onto the windshield unless you have the controls on one of the two defrost or defog settings.
1) Is this normal?
2) How hard is it to get to the air valve for the windshield so I can do something to keep it partially open all the time?

All other cars I have had always blow a little air to the windshield regardless of where you have the controls set.

Bob
Old 03-12-2010 | 10:00 AM
Founding Member

It's an 8 hour job to get to the A/C case and the entire dash and dash carrier has to be removed. We just did one yesterday.

There is nothing inside the case that you will be able to change.
Old 03-12-2010 | 06:53 PM

Neither one of my HHRs blow air on windshield unless selected.....and never really noticed any other car that did this.....though I would suspect a leaking diverter door if it does...
The HHR is either an open or closed defrost, unlike other vehicles where you can control the position of the diverter door if this is what you mean.....unless you choose dash/defrost...but then you'd be running the compressor when you didn't need to causing lowered fuel milage
Old 03-13-2010 | 06:52 AM

YES it is the diverter valve I need to get to. Figures it would be a big job.
Gotta love GM. Real pain when it is raining and cold to have to put the controls to defrost when you really just need a small amount of air on the windshield.
Guess I will just unplug the AC compressor for now.
Old 03-13-2010 | 06:02 PM

I don't know if unpluging the Compressor is a good idea. From the little I know about them (replaced quite a few on older vehicles) I do think they have to be run from time to time to keep everything lubed inside-hense the running when the defroster is on. What does ChevyManager say?
Old 03-13-2010 | 06:44 PM

How old were the cars that you could turn the defrost/defog without the A/C comp. being on at the same time? I have alot of years as a GM tech and it has been quite a few years that the A/C comp. run when in defrost or defog mode.
Old 03-13-2010 | 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
It's an 8 hour job to get to the A/C case and the entire dash and dash carrier has to be removed. We just did one yesterday.

There is nothing inside the case that you will be able to change.
Wow. Is that 8 hours round trip, or just one way?
I've done motors that didn't take that long, albeit not on a transverse FWD.
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
How old were the cars that you could turn the defrost/defog without the A/C comp. being on at the same time? I have alot of years as a GM tech and it has been quite a few years that the A/C comp. run when in defrost or defog mode.
It's been quite a while since I've seen a GM that didn't run the compressor whenever defrost or recirc was selected. I think it's mostly paranoia about lawsuits, as the windows can fog up pretty fast, esp. in recirc mode. I've seen quite a few Fords that had a thermostat to keep the compressor from coming on when the outside temps get very low. I had a 97 Probe with an aluminum 2.0L that would heat up incredibly fast when I put it in recirc, instead of continually drawing in 15 degree outside air. I know the old saw about circulating oil through the compressor and keeping the seals soft, but frankly once a month should do the trick for that.
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:20 PM
Founding Member

Asian imports used to have an On/Off A/C button that you could use when in defrost mode, not sure if they still do. GM never has.

So the goal seems to be that bob wants A) Windshield air without the A/C on and B) He wishes that a small amount of air was diverted to the windshield when the vent selector is on floor or dash. B is not going to happen on this vehicle.

I don't see the point of not having A/C on when in defrost, which is what helps clear the window, The amount of energy usage doesn't justify unplugging of the compressor, compared to possible damage to expensive A/C components, due to no usage.

But your the owner so proceed on as you see fit. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:23 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by mistermike
Wow. Is that 8 hours round trip, or just one way?
I've done motors that didn't take that long, albeit not on a transverse FWD.
The repair entails going all the way to the firewall. No column, pedals, dash pad, dash carrier, ducting, nothing left to get it out. 8 hours round trip, GM pays 6.3 for the job.

Quick Reply: No Windshield defrost Air