Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Not Working - Cruise, Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Not Working - Cruise, Door Locks

All of a sudden, my cruise control stopped working (buttons on the sterring wheel, all other dash info systems work when using the other buttons), and I noticed at I think the same time the doors don't lock or unlock automatically when shifting into and out of park.

If I rest my hand on the (automatic) shifter while driving and touch the brakes, I can feel something through the shifter actuating or try to actuate.

Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM

That doesn't sound right - Are you saying this is happening while the transmission is in Drive?. I think what you're feeling is supposed to only happen in Automatics while you're in Park - Safety feature that requires you to place your foot on the brakes, this releases the shifter to allow you to shift out of park into Reverse or Drive (and activate the door locks).

If my guess is right then maybe this is why your cruise control isn't working. For some reason the electronics BCM(?) is thinking the car is in Park so it's preventing the CC from activating.

Check either of your fuse panels for a loose relay or blown fuse or Another thought is your safety switch in which case see if you can start your car in Drive or Lo gear (keep your foot on the brake pedal to keep the car from jumping forward!)
Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Is a check engine light on?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM

have you gotten any where with this issue??

reason i ask is my mom's 2006 hhr just started the same thing this past weekend. but her's also has the check engine light on. but when i hook up my scanner to it, it cannot link.

sorry, not trying to highjack your thread. just trying to figure this out. you are the only other person i have seen post about it and i also talked to a gm tech and he hasnt ever seen one do this either.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 AM

Cruise does not work, doors do not lock automatically

I have the same problem. I also have the same symptoms. When I step on the brake I can hear something click. Check engine light does not come on. Has anyone come up with a solution to the problem yet? All help appreciated!

****** Update - I pulled the chrome bezel off of the shift console to check for loose wires. Before I could go any further, I had to run someplace, and all of a sudden everything is working again! No answer to what was wrong, but at least it is working for now.

Last edited by mweber; 02-18-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mweber
I have the same problem. I also have the same symptoms. When I step on the brake I can hear something click. Check engine light does not come on. Has anyone come up with a solution to the problem yet? All help appreciated!

****** Update - I pulled the chrome bezel off of the shift console to check for loose wires. Before I could go any further, I had to run someplace, and all of a sudden everything is working again! No answer to what was wrong, but at least it is working for now.

Did you happen to disconnect the battery before/while you were looking for loose wires?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by blazerman
have you gotten any where with this issue??

reason i ask is my mom's 2006 hhr just started the same thing this past weekend. but her's also has the check engine light on. but when i hook up my scanner to it, it cannot link.

sorry, not trying to highjack your thread. just trying to figure this out. you are the only other person i have seen post about it and i also talked to a gm tech and he hasnt ever seen one do this either.

Disconnect your battery for 15 minutes and hook it back up - see if this "fixes" the problem...

In some Vues, the body control module (BCM) has been prone to failure and it controls all sorts of interior and lighting stuff. Disconnecting (rebooting) the BCM seems to "cure" them...Might work in the HHR too.

Ultimately, some Vues have needed to replace the BCM - dealer only job about $ 600 - OUCH...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Shootr
If I rest my hand on the (automatic) shifter while driving and touch the brakes, I can feel something through the shifter actuating or try to actuate.

Any ideas?
This is normal and you don't have to be driving.

The shift lever unlocks from "Park" when you touch the Brake. Also normal is another click by the steering column when you depress the shift button.

I’m not going to take a stab on the Cruise Control issue.