Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Optima battery...what size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM

My battery was dead again this AM. The Optimum 51R size appears to be too high and too narrow to fit right. Plus, it has less cranking amps than the stock battery. None of the Optimum batteries look to be a good fit. The replacement Delco is 9.6L x 6.8W x 7.3H. The Optimum is 9.25L x 5.0W x 9.0H. It would hit the top panal unless you trim it. And, the Optimum has 20 less RC than the Delco. Plus, nobody has it in stock in my area, anyway. I will go to Chevy tomorrow and try to get a new Delco under warranty. Most people hear don't seem to have a problem with their batteries, so hopefully mine is just defective. My stereo is not at all crazy-yet. Only have one extra amp.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM

guess its not right for the HHR then.......
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Lee3333
The replacement Delco is 9.6L x 6.8W x 7.3H. The Optimum is 9.25L x 5.0W x 9.0H. It would hit the top panal unless you trim it. And, the Optimum has 20 less RC than the Delco.
Originally Posted by O6ChevyHHR
guess its not right for the HHR then.......
Gee.....ya think?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 PM
jx3

Ok, post digging time!!

Any updates on battery info? Just checked Sears and Discount today, and neither place could help me with replacement battery (not in their books).

Back ground info on problem with mine.........

Currently 22 months owned, and 23K miles driven........

All was great until returning home from 2 week vacation. Not to surprised to find the battery dead. Got it jumped started at the battery itself, not by hooking up to underhood posts. Did a couple errands all around town, not turning the ignition off for several hours to recharge the battery. All was great again ------ for about 3 weeks. Yesterday, I had to jump start Dory again, ran about 20 miles down the highway on errand, turned the car off, and about 45 minutes later, no problems again. Then this morning, tried to take Dory out to pick up breakfast, you guessed it, needs to be jumped again. I'm really tired of driving my wife's tank, and hopefully I can get this prob resolved soon!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM

It's interesting to see this post tonight because I am a long time Optima Yellow user in multiple vehicles. Since I just picked up my 07 HHR last week, I sent Optima an email, and they said they do not have a battery that can be placed in the HHR. I wish I had the response they sent me, but they mentioned how the battery needed some kind of vent ports that only the Delco has. So if there is a battery that fits, I wonder if its really safe to use it? I would like to suggest to everyone write Optima and ask them to make a replacement battery. I have gone over 5 years with the two I have installed thus far. The Delco part number from what I found is 90-6YR.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 PM

The yellow top are the best. If they make one for any car I own, it what I buy. My 57 Chevy sits for 5 months in the winter. In spring after five months sitting in below zero. The battery fires it up just fine. I have never had to jump a car with one in it. The vent tube may be like my 2002 Tbird that is located in the trunk. It is to vent the battery through the floor because it is in an enclosed area and they don't want the fumes wafting around. I'm confused though because I though the optima was a sealed unit, a gel cell and there for fumes would not be an issue and there for venting???
Old 07-28-2007, 09:44 PM

You make a good point. Gell Cell's don't need vents.
If I were in the need of a battery, I sure would try to fit one of these Red or Yellow Tops in there. So hopefully someone will and post a message of what they used.

It may be a good idea for those having problems, to put one of those Emergency Gell Cell's with the Jumpers made on to them in the storage bin. I was just checking the one I have here, and the battery is just a 12V 7AH inside, so it must be able to handle the starting current with no problem.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Why is it so dang hard to find a replacement battery with higher CCA????
Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM

The Optima won't vent under normal situations, but can vent which is why Optima won't recommend one of their batteries in that application. I've used them in an enclosed location with no problem, but that's not saying I can't have a problem.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:26 AM

And I am still having battery problems. I just bought another car for a project, but will use it while I bring in my HHR for a few warranty things. And one of the most important is the battery. I keep a booster battery in the car now. I am certain my problem is a bad cell, since it wont even turn the motor slowly. Then, once I boost it for a second the car starts right up and will restart immediatly without charging. Now, to just convince my dealer...

He checked my car several times last fall and blamed it on my accessories I added.

Quick Reply: Optima battery...what size?