Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Paint chipping

Went to see the local dealler today about the chipping on the back doors to see (tsb) , but he was not sure if this is fust for the original owner . Does anyone know how this works . The area rep is in tomarrow and I would like to at least sound like i know how this works . Any help will be great .

Thanks Norm
Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

You need to check with the CANADIAN owners ONLY. Canada, if i remember correctly, has a completely DIFFERENT policy than the US.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM

I had mine done and I am the second owner...but it could be diferent in Canada. I just took the car to the dealer,showed them the damage and gave them the TSB Number. They agreed to repaint them...but I would recomend getting the running boards installed while they are fixing it. I just got mine back last week and so far...no more chipping!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks guys , will see what happens tomarrow . I will tell them that you got yours done and that you are the second owner . Having fun with the car other than the paint thing, all seam to be good .
Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 PM

Is it only the 08s that have stone guard on the rear fenders?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Bert
Is it only the 08s that have stone guard on the rear fenders?
No, all years have had a stone guard if not optioned w/ the boards. On the 06s and early 07s, it was a piece of plastic painted to match. All later models got the 3M clear platsic stone guards.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM

I was told when I called GM that Canada is different they did supply there HHR owners FREE running boards and a new paint job (on the rear fenders). They will repaint it once free but if it happens again it is up to the dealer if they want to do it again for no charge. Mine is in right now getting repainted and I'm installing running boards and HHR mudflaps for under $600.00 because I don't want this to happen again. I've also noticed on the bottom of the doors they are all chipped...they told me sorry they can't repaint that I would have to pay.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by vschriver
I was told when I called GM that Canada is different they did supply there HHR owners FREE running boards and a new paint job (on the rear fenders). They will repaint it once free but if it happens again it is up to the dealer if they want to do it again for no charge. Mine is in right now getting repainted and I'm installing running boards and HHR mudflaps for under $600.00 because I don't want this to happen again. I've also noticed on the bottom of the doors they are all chipped...they told me sorry they can't repaint that I would have to pay.
I'm in Alberta and had this repair work done almost a year ago. They refinished and repainted the front of the rear fenders (although they did a really poor job.) I wanted to have running boards put on at GM's cost but was told it wasn't going to happen. I filed a complaint with GM Canada and after review they said that there was no policy to supply running boards at no cost to 06 owners. If certain people had that done at certain dealers it was a good-will action and not GM Canada policy for this problem.

I also had major problems with the repair that was done, I had to use the better business bureau to remedy the repair. The major problem was that the body shop was cutting many corners because of the time allowed for the repair within the TSB note. The manager told me that if I brought this vehicle in for an estimate and repair he would have estimated about 3 times more hours. They were doing what they could based on the TSB alloted time. My repair looked terrible but ended up looking decent after the BBB arbitration.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:40 AM

When I bought my HHR I knew that there would be issues with the chipping and pitting on the back door/rear quater panel. I have had enough trucks to have seen this before. I also did not like the stone gaurds offered by GM. I had my local clear bra dealer cover that area and it looks great. Unless you look really carefully you would not be able to tell.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I'm in Alberta and had this repair work done almost a year ago. They refinished and repainted the front of the rear fenders (although they did a really poor job.) I wanted to have running boards put on at GM's cost but was told it wasn't going to happen. I filed a complaint with GM Canada and after review they said that there was no policy to supply running boards at no cost to 06 owners. If certain people had that done at certain dealers it was a good-will action and not GM Canada policy for this problem.

I also had major problems with the repair that was done, I had to use the better business bureau to remedy the repair. The major problem was that the body shop was cutting many corners because of the time allowed for the repair within the TSB note. The manager told me that if I brought this vehicle in for an estimate and repair he would have estimated about 3 times more hours. They were doing what they could based on the TSB alloted time. My repair looked terrible but ended up looking decent after the BBB arbitration.
I think your dealer put the *** to you since I was told by a GM rep from the corporate that if I lived in Canada I would have been able to get them free.