Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Paint Damage due to Road Debris

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Smile ** Update on Damage **

Hello Y'al, For those how have asked - my baby is a Sunburst Orange 2007 LS model with a 2.2L engine and 5-speed manual (I have always owned a manual and love it). It is known as "Tigger's Aloha Wagon" to my friends and family. I have decals of the Hawaiian Islands and an Aloha sticker on the back. Also, there are stickers of Hawaiian Sea Turtles on the rear pillars. It is soon to have the running boards installed and a set of "Seven X" MB Wheels with Goodyear Tripletread tires. About the running boards - I have finally gotten some response from GM. I am buying the color matched running boards and paying to have them installed. GM has offered, as a ONE TIME GOODWILL GESTURE, to pay for fixing the paint damage on my vehicle. If anyone is interested in doing the same - I suggest you contact GM Customer Service (It has only taken my about Ten months to accomplish what I have).
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM

I'm amazed that its GM's fault that road debris damage the paint. I understand that the design is more likely to damage, but come on. It's like if your car gets a dent its the dealers fault. Trust I fix them that gets blamed on the dealer that the dealer didn't do all of the time. Gosh its just one of them things.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Well, seeing as how the Customer Representative from GM "POINT BLANK" told me that it was a "VEHICLE DESIGN FLAW" and that all HHR's should come with the running boards as standard equipment. Then I do feel that the MANUFACTURER shoudl be responcible. If I really wanted to be an A&& about it I could have pushed the issue for GM to pay for the running boards. However, at the time I purchased mine they were an option, but GM was still withholding pertanent information from me.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

TiggersHHR.......

I'm glad you were able to come to an agreement about your "running boards". But, you arrived at the standard agreement that GM has prescribed to thousands of owners. Take it or leave it. VERY VERY few received any more than what you accomplished. Use the search function on this forum to review this "beat the dead horse" issue.

Oh, and it is not a design flaw, regardless of what a minimum wage subcontractor "of GM" told you (doubt if that person still works for the agency that contracts to GM). Use the search function for that also.

And, it took you 10 months to accomplish what most have done in less than half of that. Can you imagine if you wanted to be an ass, how long it would take?

My understanding is the dealers are the make it or break it of this issue. Even though the dealer requires the factory rep approval for any repair on this, the dealer and how he presents the issue and what he/she offers is the determining factor.

I believe, up to this time, the running boards have always been an option in the US.

What pertinent information did GM withhold from you at the time of purchase????
Old 02-16-2008, 01:23 AM

Snoopy . . .
I also agree that the individual that was representing GM most likely does not work for them anymore. If the GM salesperson would have been honest enough to tell me that this kind of damage may occur when I bought my HHR, I would have had no issue with having the running boards installed.

Even if I have only came to the "standard agreement" with GM, it is better to only have to pay out $600 rather than $1400 to get the issue fixed. I have owned many vehicles from Ford, Toyota, Honda, and other GM products; and none have ever had the damage to the paint that my HHR has experienced.
Live and learn - I guess.

When the rep told me it was Road Damage, I contacted my insurance agent to see if getting it repainted would be covered under the Comprehensive portion of my policy. Damage to my vehicle from road debris, wild animals, or just the neighbor’s cat is covered under my policy. However, the adjuster also classified it as a design flaw and thus would not cover it.

I love my little HHR and plan to buy a used one for my oldest son when he starts driving. My wife want an SS model - good luck at that - every one that hits my local dealer’s lot is already sold.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
If the GM salesperson would have been honest enough to tell me that this kind of damage may occur when I bought my HHR, I would have had no issue with having the running boards installed.
Which is exactly why the only cost to you SHOULD BE the purchase of the running boards and not the installation.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Nope, not standard in Canada either. When I bought my '08, the one next to it had no boards, but the price was the same. Perhaps a no cost option.
Glad I went the right way on that choice. Now Im also looking for the molded "HHR" logo mud flaps for a decent price. I may also get the clear vinyl for the fenders, already have it for the nose to put on when it gets warmer.
Maybe it was an older model.

Take a look here:
http://gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/hhr/options

Running boards are supposed to be standard equipment on 2007 and 2008 HHRs (LS and LT models).

The SS models have a completely different trim on the sides where the boards would be.

As for the molded HHR mud flaps. Go to your dealers parts counter. That's where I got mine for $45 Canadian.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

TiggerHHR.....

I TRICKED you into giving the answer.....but for reason.

I thought, correctly, you were suggesting some type of statement from your salesperson.

Given this, you need to know the saleperson IS NOT a GM person. They are employed by the dealer and the dealer is also independent of GM.

If your grievance is the salesperson didn't tell you about the potential damage that could be caused w/o the running boards, then your grievance is with the dealer, not GM.

Some members, who experienced this problem and complained about the salespersons lack of information, enjoyed a little concession from the dealer.....maybe a reduction in the cost of the running boards, maybe the cost of painting the boards.

Thought you should know.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Now Im also looking for the molded "HHR" logo mud flaps for a decent price. I may also get the clear vinyl for the fenders, already have it for the nose to put on when it gets warmer.
I found some at a chevy dealer in fl. for 59.95 + 10.00 to ship. Coggin chevrolet at 866-545-9442 mention seeing them on the internet. hope this helps
Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Thank you Jeebus!...Ohhh Sooo Sunny SoCal doesnt have the same road probs as my HHR Brethren in the east do. I have potholes the size of Kenworth's to dodge. I live literally in the Port of Los Angeles. WOOT for snappy handling, fat fendered, HHR's

Quick Reply: Paint Damage due to Road Debris