Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Parasitic Battery Drain n 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Deceased

Give the following article a read, it'll give you an idea of how much "fun" is involved in finding a parasitic drain on a modern vehicle.

Parasitic Battery Drains - Diagnostic News

To cut to the chase, the wait he mentioned is to allow those modules that stay awake after you shut off your HHR to fall asleep, thereby allowing a true read of any battery drains.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

You know thinking about this,,,,,,,
I think I remember a TSB about an extra fuse placed in the wrong location in the fuse box. Can't remember for sure which one........but I think it is position #11.

That fuse causes, again if I remember correctly, an unnecessary "hot" draw. You might want to search thru the TSB listing that ChevyMgr provided.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Snoopy. This may be the TSB you're thinking of:

#PIC5055: Rear Hatch Will NOT Lock - keywords door fuse gate latch lift liftgate lock pad release RKE touch UBEC unlock - (Dec 11, 2008)

Subject: Rear Hatch Will NOT Lock

Models: 2006-2009 Chevrolet HHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The customer will notice that at anytime by using the touch pad on the rear lift gate the lift gate will open WITHOUT unlocking the vehicle.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If this condition exists, check for a fuse in position #11 in the Underhood Buss Electrical Center. If there is a fuse in that position, remove it, as it is not supposed to be there.

Note: A fuse in that position will cause the release relay (coil side) to stay powered up at all times and will only need a ground (touch pad) to activate the relay.

If no fuse is present then check for voltage on circuit #1221 (WH/BK) and proceed with diagnostics.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 PM

Or this one. PIC4108G

#PIC4108G: Battery Draw From The BCM 2 Fuse - (May 11, 2009)

Subject: Battery Draw From The BCM 2 Fuse

Models: 2005-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2009 Chevrolet HHR

2007-2009 Pontiac G5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to correct module reference. Please discard PIC4108F.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may report a battery drain on their vehicle. Upon inspection technicians may see a battery draw of 100-170 mA on the battery. Typically when the BCM 2 fuse in the UBEC is pulled, the draw goes away. When looking at the wiring schematics you will NOT see the microprocessor (inside the BCM) that is powered by this fuse. This Microprocessor is sending small amounts of voltage out on the door lock input circuit #682 (White, BCM X1 pin 7) and the dome lamp output circuit #149 (D-BU/WHT, BCM X3 pin A3), Either of these circuits could be pulled low and will cause this condition.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Install the Tech-2/Candi module and look at the door lock switch status in the BCM data section. Status should be reading "Idle". If it reads Unlock or Lock, then check for a possible short to ground in circuit #682 (White) or a possible door lock switch concern. If those check out OK then remove circuit #149 from the BCM and wait to see if your draw times out in 20 minutes. If it does then check for a STG in circuit #149 (D-BU/WHT).

Other culprits are the EPS motor and the ground straps on the radio.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Appears donbrew has the correct one. I confused the #11 fuse with that issue. So thanks fireman for the reference, but not exactly the one I was thinking off.

But I second thought, they are both correct since each creates a battery draw. Fireman you are correct (maybe me too) and donbrew you are correct (maybe me too).
Old 11-26-2014, 06:25 AM

I didn't mean to imply one was "righter" than the other.

I only knew about PIC4108G because somebody was complaining recently that the dealer would not do the fix for free. I had to point out it's not a fix, but a diagnostic.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Deceased

You're all right, so sayeth the Admin.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Frankly, I personally don't care which one is "righter", I have no investment in it. But I do feel a response is necessary just to provide an attempt at reliable information and as a courtesy to those who provide answers or updates.

Now I will add to this......

A friend, who had this problem in his GM vehicle, just mentioned that GM had a TSB or "field service notice" out for a problem with SOME OnStar systems drawing from the battery when the car is shut off. He mentioned that the problem existed in all models across GM's line. But are selected by Dealers upon the complaint
Old 12-03-2014, 10:56 AM

I am not sure if this helps but I was having a similar issue earlier this year. It turned out that there was an issue with the OnStar. I realized the problem when I went to use my OnStar and it wouldn't do anything when the button was pressed. I removed the battery and left it off overnight and tried again and the OnStar worked again. The rep told me that my car was sending a lot of data to OnStar about an airbag being deployed. Apparently they were not able to reach me though the car either and they phone number and email address they had on file was not accurate anymore. It turned out to bad an issue with one of fuses. Some debris had found its way in to the fuse box and it was causing some issues. After that was fixed I never had anymore issues with my battery until a few days ago. It turned out that issue was caused by a bad battery though.