Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Parking brake problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008 | 03:19 PM

Exclamation

I try to use the E-BRAKE in my wifes automatic as much as possible, just so the cables don't Freeze up and rust in the open position. Ever since my 1963 Oldsmobile brakes failed on me when I was a youngster, and the only thing that stopped me was that freakin E-BRAKE, I've never been the same again.
Just my two cent's...
Old 06-26-2008 | 05:56 PM

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I think the HHR like most other rear disc brake cars actually has a small drum brake that is the e-brake. I'm going to try and verify this and report back.
Old 06-26-2008 | 09:29 PM

This is easily fixed. Jack up the back and pull the parking brake 5 clicks, now adjust the cable till the rear wheel don't turn, release the park brake and try to spin the rear wheels. They should spin free, that should solve the problem. Another thing to remember is that everyone should use the park brake once and a while, it is important to the self adjusters in the rear drums.
Old 06-26-2008 | 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by irloyal
I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I think the HHR like most other rear disc brake cars actually has a small drum brake that is the e-brake. I'm going to try and verify this and report back.
No, there is no small drum brake like this on our SS. Trust me, I had mine taken all apart a few weeks back for painting. I have heard of that though on some pickups with 4 wheel disc.

Here is a picture of our rear caliper and rotor assembly. That cable that is near that top being held by the steel loop is the Ebrake cable. When the lever is pulled it mechnically pushes the piston and shoe against the rotor. It obviously doesn't have the same force as the hydraulic pressure of the pedal itself, so it has to be kept in good adjustment...

Old 01-02-2009 | 04:17 PM

The Parking Brake on my HHR SS is also totally worthless.......I took it in and ask them to look at it........also told them the E Brake Handle felt like it was binding......
They ordered the part (E Brake Handle)and it is back ordered, waiting over a month now......

Last edited by tomw; 01-02-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2009 | 06:19 PM

Im going to have to do the same thing, just recently I must not have placed my car in gear (hard enough i thought) and i found it 8 feet from where I left it. I believe I must have hit the clutch after placing in gear for safety. No I triple check. Anyway the ebrake couldn't hold a 5% grade. I'm not driving it much now anyway, ill get it adjusted when my dealership put in my stage 1 flash.
Old 01-02-2009 | 06:40 PM
Founding Member

First rule I learned with a manual was to always park with the shifter in reverse gear. Strongest gear in the tranny.
Old 01-03-2009 | 10:13 AM

Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-03-2009 | 06:34 PM

Also we all should use the E brake as it adjust the rear brakes up as they wear.

The rear caliper is not a drum set up but has screw like adjucter that turns with the use of the E brake . It move the pads out with wear so you have a E brake and your brake pedal does not get low.

If you fail to use the brake you e brake will go out of adjustment and not hold and the pedal inside will get lower and lower as the pads wear.

When it comes time to do the brakes a small tool you can get about anywhere will tunr the piston back in before you put the new pads on.

This adjuster system has been used for years and works pretty good today but in the past would freeze up with non use. .

So use your E brake even if you have an automatic tranny.
Old 01-04-2009 | 07:22 AM

I use mine all the time, and recently experienced the car moving on a very slight grade. Clearly the cable has stretched and needs readjustment. Also, I'm noticing a "grinding" noise from the rear brakes on light pedal. Mileage is about 8000, mostly freeway

Quick Reply: Parking brake problems!