Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Parking brake problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009 | 12:39 AM

Another tip...use the brake petal to "set" the brakes then pull the 'e" brake handle before releasing them..that way your not using pure muscle to get it set tight.This way you don't fight the hyd portion as the piston has to pull fluid in behind it.Can do the same to release them.
Old 01-05-2009 | 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
Also, I'm noticing a "grinding" noise from the rear brakes on light pedal.
I have also been noticing a loud sqeaking/groaning noise every time I back the car out of the driveway now when I apply the brakes. Just that first back-up, and then it is gone. I just think the rear rotors are just made out of crap steel and rust very quickly once it is parked. If you look closely at the material it is very grainy looking compared to the fronts and it always leaves impressions where the pads at the last spot when parked.

Good tip on setting the brake IgottaWoody. I have the 5spd, so I think I always have my foot on the brake pedal when setting the Ebrake, but most auto drivers probably do not.
Old 01-05-2009 | 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
I have also been noticing a loud sqeaking/groaning noise every time I back the car out of the driveway now when I apply the brakes. Just that first back-up, and then it is gone. I just think the rear rotors are just made out of crap steel and rust very quickly once it is parked. If you look closely at the material it is very grainy looking compared to the fronts and it always leaves impressions where the pads at the last spot when parked.

Good tip on setting the brake IgottaWoody. I have the 5spd, so I think I always have my foot on the brake pedal when setting the Ebrake, but most auto drivers probably do not.
I've had the same thing happen every morning for about 2 weeks. I agree it's probally a rust build up overnite. Kinda suks.