Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Passanger windshiled wiper quit working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Passanger windshiled wiper quit working?

my passanger winshield wiper seems to have been dislocated from whatever mechanism makes it move....... it moves freely by hand, as if it is no longer attached to whatever is supposed to move it with the drivers side....

anybody else have this happen???

i want to get into the area that is beneath the black cover that hides all of the workings to see if it is something simple, like a pin coming out of a rod or something.....

does anyone know how to get into there? or should i just start taking screw out until i figure it out

thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM

first check to see if the bolt is loose at the base of the wiper. then there is like 4 or 5 bolts that you cant take out and remove the plastic(remove wipers first). then you can check and see if its a wiper bushing, which is what happened to me... I bought a universal kit at autozone with like 16 different bushings in it for a few bucks...make sure it has the GM ones and your all set. the ones I bought didnt even have the correct years on the package and they still worked
Old 08-26-2012, 02:28 PM

look at this thd https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-fix-wiper-transmission-32975/
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM

I think you were asking "how to remove the cowl". remove the wiper arms. open the hood remove the plastic plugs on the ends (near the doors). there may me 2 screws, I don't remember.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 AM

thanks all, i'll get into this as soon as i can and let y'all know what i find.......

Name:  BrokenWiper.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  68.0 KB

so, the arm fell off, it appears that it is a ball joint type and a plastic part inside the ball socket sheared off....... it is actually back together and working currently, but the only thing holding it together is the rubber grommet seal, so it is only a matter of time till if falls apart again...

is this the bushing that you mention badass ???? it does not appear that it is made to come off the arm ????

i would have to take the whole mechanism with the motor to see underneath it and determine how the arm is helf onto the cam.......

worse comes to worse, it appears that i can drill a hole thru the ball joint knuckle and hold it together with a screw and nylock nut....

thoughts ??

Last edited by mudbilly; 08-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by mudbilly
thanks all, i'll get into this as soon as i can and let y'all know what i find.......

so, the arm fell off, it appears that it is a ball joint type and a plastic part inside the ball socket sheared off....... it is actually back together and working currently, but the only thing holding it together is the rubber grommet seal, so it is only a matter of time till if falls apart again...

is this the bushing that you mention badass ???? it does not appear that it is made to come off the arm ????

i would have to take the whole mechanism with the motor to see underneath it and determine how the arm is helf onto the cam.......

worse comes to worse, it appears that i can drill a hole thru the ball joint knuckle and hold it together with a screw and nylock nut....

thoughts ??
yes this is exactly what happened to me...you need a new bushing for it. its pretty simple if you can find it. I just had to clean the "ball" off and then put the bushing on and force it back into the "socket"
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM

fixt

well. i figured that i needed to get this fixt before winter plus the mrs was getting perturbed having to look out the windshield full of rain and splattered bugs.

i couldn't find any bushings to replace it, ..... so i had to improvise.....

Name:  P1010025.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  PB020026.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  PB020029.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  PB020030.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  60.1 KB
Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 PM

maybe this will hold up better than the factory bushing?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Good fix.
3 things. I hope you used stainless harware. Maybe should have used a larger bolt if possible. 1 Nyloc nut instead of 2 regulars.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM

LOL,

yea, i only keep stainless hardware around the shop, i keep a magnet in each bin to make sure.....

the diameter couldn't be much larger because of the way it all goes together, there is no way that it will ever shear off, there is not really any force on it in any direction....

i just used what i had laying around, normally i wouldn't have used a flat head (or if so, i would countersink for the head) but i didn't have any pan heads of the right length,,,and it didn't seem worth the effort to countersink,,,,,i searched for a nylock but didn't have any in that size screw..

i did have some nuts with the star washer built in, but that wouldn't work becasue the rubber grommet acts as a spring keeping everything tight without binding.....

i have a harware store within a half mile of my house, and could have done it nicer for a couple bucks............. but no one will ever see it............

works like a charm on rain, soon i'll see how it holds up to snow, and whether there is going to be extra wear in the ball & socket....