Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Passenger air bag light keeps alarming

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Unhappy Passenger air bag light keeps alarming

Hi!

I've had my 2009 HHR LT2 into the shop 4 times (this will be the 5th on Friday) for the Service Passenger Airbag light. They've replaced the module twice I believe, the entire seat cushion and a couple of other remedies early on that I'm not sure about. Those had little to no effect.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and if it is common to HHR's in particular? Any thoughts?

It really makes me nervous in case we have an accident and it doesn't go off properly. I don't have passengers except on weekends generally so waiting until Friday isn't a problem but I'm just getting downright annoyed, as is my boss. I drive for work and to not have a car is a huge problem on the days I'm stuck in the office. The car only has 36,000 miles on it so it isn't like she's high mileage, in my opinion.

So, basically, I'd like to know if this is exclusive to HHR's, if anyone else has this problem and if anyone knows of any good solutions.

Thanks! Have a great day!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Deceased

Its not a common problem with HHR's, and after 4 repair attempts the first thing I'd look into is "firing" the shop you're using and going somewhere else.

The problem could be located in the airbag itself, the module, the wiring harness, the connector between the "passenger presence" sensor and the wiring harness, etc.

It sounds like your current shop is "shotgunning" the problem by throwing parts at it in hopes of fixing it just by happenstance. As far as any solutions that you could try, leave it to the techs, airbags are capable of seriously injuring you or worse if you do the wrong thing.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM

SimonMci,

If you would like me to check into you vehicle issue feel free to send me a PM. The PM should include (VIN, name, number, address, current mileage, involved dealer). Thank you in advance!

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Originally Posted by SimonMci
Hi!

I've had my 2009 HHR LT2 into the shop 4 times (this will be the 5th on Friday) for the Service Passenger Airbag light. They've replaced the module twice I believe, the entire seat cushion and a couple of other remedies early on that I'm not sure about. Those had little to no effect.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and if it is common to HHR's in particular? Any thoughts?

It really makes me nervous in case we have an accident and it doesn't go off properly. I don't have passengers except on weekends generally so waiting until Friday isn't a problem but I'm just getting downright annoyed, as is my boss. I drive for work and to not have a car is a huge problem on the days I'm stuck in the office. The car only has 36,000 miles on it so it isn't like she's high mileage, in my opinion.

So, basically, I'd like to know if this is exclusive to HHR's, if anyone else has this problem and if anyone knows of any good solutions.

Thanks! Have a great day!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

The passenger side wiring and connectors, has been notorious in GM vehicles.

Each one of my last 4 GM cars has had this same symptom. After the first, I learned what the fix area is, and do it myself.

So, look for anything that could touch to a bare wire. Assure ALL connectors are tight. Assure all connections in the connectors are making proper contact.

P.S. My dealer indicated it's a rather "common" occurrence.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Happens to me. Its power related and only happens when im using the usb jack for my ipod and charging a cell phone in the cigarette lighter jack and have a passenger.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by SCE_HHR
Happens to me. Its power related and only happens when im using the usb jack for my ipod and charging a cell phone in the cigarette lighter jack and have a passenger.

Cell phones and ipods can trigger the passenger seat message if they are laying on the passenger seat.

With a passenger in that seat no alarm should be triggered unless they don't have their seat belt buckled or don't weigh enough to be sitting there.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

service air bag appearing in DIC and idiot light below. In the past it was intermittent, but last couple days stays on. 09 LT1 bought new. Miles 22k, so why am I having this problem? I think still under warranty.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM

I had the same issue-Dealer read code & found out the connections below the passenger seat had to be cleaned & dielectric greased.

Other issues with the 09 that I have heard is the passenger air bag contacts in the seat belt return mechanism assembly behind the plastic bolted to the floor also have a corrosive issue.

Worth a shot to ask the dealer to check....
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM

I currently have this intermitten problem with the air bag light coming on and off, this is a 2009 model. Have had the seat out and check connection. I did understand that there may be a circuit bd in the console. Will probably look there next.
Jim