Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Passenger Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Passenger Airbag light

Hi!

This is probably a silly question, but has anyone had problems with the passenger airbag light turning on while no one is in the seat? I've had the car (2009 HHR LT2) for two years. About a year after my purchase, the service airbag light went on and it kept turning on the airbag without someone sitting there. According to the dealer, I spilled coffee on the seat and shorted the switch. Hmmm. I don't drink coffee nor have I spilled anything! So they replaced that for me. Now I occasionally get the dinging in the car because the airbag has been triggered on the passenger side. I've always put my purse there on the seat (and no, it isn't THAT heavy!). Why would it suddenly start reacting to my purse? Is this normal? The dealer tells me I can't put anything heavier than a CD or sunglasses on the seat while I drive. The owner's manual says nothing about this.

Any help/advice/information would be so appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Seems I read here on the forum it should take about 70 pounds to activate that switch, so it sounds like the dealer was handing you a line........ Especially after they accused you of spilling coffee. May be time to find another dealer.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

I agree with Greybeard....I'd head to a different dealer....
Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SimonMci
The dealer tells me I can't put anything heavier than a CD or sunglasses on the seat while I drive. The owner's manual says nothing about this.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having that system? IIRC, the idea is that the passenger airbag isn't supposed to deploy unless their is a person with a predetermined wieght sitting on the seat which is supposed to prevent a possible injury to a small child occupying the seat?

So, I'd have to agree with the above posts and the dealership seems to be taking the easy way out by feeding you the line instead of actually fixing the problem.

Dealerships are like doctors ... its always wise to get a second opinion
Old 08-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Slight clarification..... No child is supposed to be occupying that seat unless they weigh enough to set that switch....... according in the manual.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Founding Member

SimonMci,

Your dealer is wrong on the weight limitaions for the seat. My daughter started setting the light off when she was around 70 lbs. I always have something small in that seat (like; glasses, book, note pad, pistol) and never trigger the light. You either have a bad wire/connector under the seat or in the seat belt assembly itself. Find a new dealer for sure.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Slight clarification..... No child is supposed to be occupying that seat unless they weigh enough to set that switch....... according in the manual.

As well as various state/provincial laws ... but there are always those people who feel they are an exception to the rule ... unfortunatly.

For arguements sake, if someone does put a child in a carseat on the front passenger seat and they airbag were to deploy, it could cause injury or even be fatal thus the adaptive airbag system that needs to sense a certain weight on the seat in order to deploy the airbag safely.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Find a new dealer as this should not be coming on. The seat is set for 70 lbs and should not come on with only a purse. There is a flat panel under the coushion and over the spings that detects the weight.

Front seat law vary. Most recomend or require kids in the back up to certin size, weight or age.

The Car companies a while back made a key cut off for pick up's and two seat cars since kids could not get in the back. THey then adapted the seat pressure sensor to all cars to prevent a child where it is legal or a small adult form getting injured. That is all it is doing.

Most dealers will handle this well but there are some who will blow off what they can. IF the dealer will not fix it let GM know. They are getting to be tighter on dealers with poor customer service if they are made aware of it.

My local dealer is the champ and dose as much and more than I expect of them.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
...pistol...

Ah, Texas....
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice! I made an appt at a different dealer to see what's up. I really don't want to find out the hard way that the airbag is defective somehow!

Thanks so much! I'm so glad I asked.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag light