Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Possible battery trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Possible battery trouble

Today we rolled out the Hamilton for Sweetie’s 4 month check up.
When I started the HHR yesterday, the starter turned but the engine didn’t start, I turned the key again and released it, then it started.
I went to local parts palace, had the battery load tested , it checked out at 12.5 volts
Had the charging system checked, 14.6volts at 1,500 rpm no load
13.7 volts loaded with the hi beams in and the A/C, radio and wipers.
This morning I tried the remote start and it started normally.
No pending codes, no triggered codes, checked fuse panel under hood, fuses and relays tight and the halves were tight.
Checked ground wires , starter wires tight , no rodent chewing evidence.
So, any ideas why it would be slow to start?
EVAP system? That would throw a code.
Coils or injectors, would throw a code.
I cleaned the throttle body, MAF sensor, put in a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner fuel additive.
I can hear the fuel pump as soon as I turn the key.

Last edited by Oldblue; 10-24-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:00 PM

I know that when Gregg had the somewhat similar issue of not starting at the first turn of the key, it turned out to be a dying 10 year old battery. How new/old is that battery? I know the voltage checked out, but maybe there is something else going on with it. Just a thought. Mine failed to start once and then didn't do it again for about a year, then it happened intermittently over a few months after that until it turned into a daily thing.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Administrator

The battery is 6 years old, I think it’s the most suspect of all. Sweetie and I talked and decided with winter coming we’ll change the battery perhaps tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

I have that same issue. Turns out that the fuel pressure drops overnight and it takes that first crank attempt to bring it back up to working specs. Unfortunately the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel pump which is in the fuel tank and requires dropping for access. Needless to say I haven't repaired it yet.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Well, I just got in from testing , I cranked it over and same slow start, I pulled out the battery dated 2011 01. Installed in April 2011 while on vacation in Florida.
This AAA battery has removable caps to top up the water, all six cells I could just see the top of the plates, I topped up the water, put my battery charger in it and ran it at 2 amps until the gauge showed fully charged.
I reinstalled the battery, and the thing cranked up just like new, so I’ve confirmed it wasn’t the starter or alternator, but a feeble dying 6 1/2 year old battery which was fully warranted for 36 months! Well, I got 80 months out of it! Time for a replacement battery.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:40 AM

The EVAP doesn't always set a code. Check the fuel pressure as Lonwane suggested.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Will do, but it is starting normally now. No hesitation at all. Turn key release key , startsup I can here the fuel pump run for half a second as soon as I turn the key.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:19 AM

CALLED IT! :) Happy find for Oldblue!
Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Administrator

I just drove to town picked up some groceries and came out the HHR was back to taking awhile to start, I had already spoke to my battery guy he had to order the vent tube, so I’m picking up the new battery and vent tube tomorrow morning.
He is going to double check the fuel pressure then also.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Administrator

So, got a new battery, load tested it prior to installing it, bolted the hold down wedges, connected the positive first then the negative, and started the HHR .
Still has the slow start issue. More to follow......

Quick Reply: Possible battery trouble