Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Possible Problem Connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Thumbs down Possible Problem Connection

I purchased a used 2006 HHR with 42k miles on it. Great car, I love it.
It had a few problems, and i am wondering if there connected and I could fix them without taking it to the dealer.

My radio will not work, everything is black. It will not turn on. I have checked fuses, and had the power checked to the unit and it is in working order.
(So my assumption was it had gone bad)
But, I have no noises from turn signals, door open, seatbelt, ect.
My turn signals do not turn off after turning.

And, my windshield wiper fluid will not spray out of front or back.

Could it be some type of connection, I do not have the remotes just one key. Just ordered remotes and have to get them programed.
Security problem???, electrical problem???
Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM

The turn signals may not turn off due to a previous repair of the steering column. On mine, they messed it up at first and had to adjust it so the signals would shut off. Don't know if the other problems are related, but it sure sounds like there could be a fuse or two that is bad.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 PM

There was a post about a month ago where someone had a similar problem -- no click from turn signals, other electrical items not functioning, etc. They were related. You may want to do a search and see what he had done that fixed his issue. You may also want to have your Chevy dealership flash your BCM and reset it.

Last edited by tim_tenn; 03-01-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 PM

I have checked all the fuses and none of them are bad.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

Three letters: B.C.M.

If you have access to a Tech II, you can see if there's some codes parked in the brain.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:34 AM

B.C.M.

Body Control Module.

it is a common issue with GM vehicles. My friend's 01 Monte Carlo...same thing...
out of warranty, obviously...and he doesnt want to spend the $300 or so to get it replaced/re-flashed...so he drives....in complete silence....

you say you checked all the fuses....ALL of them? even the ones located down on the passenger side of the console near the passenger seat foot area? That panel comes off, and there are fuses there as well a 1 of the BCM's.

fuses may look good...but they are prone to rattling loose. Just pop the under-hood fuse panel cover off, and be sure all fuses are seated properly...be gentle about it...

same with the ones in the console area.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
fuses may look good...but they are prone to rattling loose. Just pop the under-hood fuse panel cover off, and be sure all fuses are seated properly...be gentle about it...
There has never been a documented issue related to "loose" fuses...

BCM probably just needs to either be reflashed or reset.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:52 PM

It could be the control module, and the fuses being loose but if you checked all of that and you still are having problems the radio does control mostly all of the functions your were describing not working. The blinkers not clicking is all throught the radio...when I put my aftermarket radio in my car the blinkers didn't tick....the radio could have a bad connection...The only bad thing is your HHR is over the warranty mileage by about 6,000 miles so you'll have to pay for them to look at your car....another thing the stock radios run about $600 and up...I hope you dont have the upgraded system in your HHR because the radio will be a lot more expensive....I didnt look to see where you were located before I started typing this but there is a dealer up the street from my house that would look at your car for free...Ryan Chevrolet in Buffalo, Minnesota....I have been there a dozen times and they havent charged me a thing...

Last edited by 2007OrangeHHRLT1; 03-02-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: miss spelled words
Old 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Well, i got lucky and picked up a radio from a '07 HHR from a wrecked vehicle with radio still working for $75.
So, i guess its off to the chevy dealership to get everything fixed up.

Cant complain picked up my 2006 HHR with 44k for $8750, they deducted $150 for the radio so i could replace it. Alll problems are minor...Thanks for your help.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Yeah actually putting the radio in will take you 10 minutes....All you have to do is grab the two center vents and pull and that part of the dash comes apart...Then you disconnect the plugs for the hazards and the fog lights ect.
you will need on wrench for the nuts on the radio and you have about 8 to loosen...you have to unscrew the bolts on the lower climate control (there should be 4) the lower climate control part partially holds the radio in.... after you do all that you can pull the radio out toward you and there is two plugs you undo....plug the new radio in and your good to go....hope your new radio works!!!

Quick Reply: Possible Problem Connection