Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Possible Water in Gas Tank. Please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:35 PM
ray

Possible Water in Gas Tank. Please advise...

After filling up my gas tank today, I decided that I would get a car wash. It's one of those no-touch car washes that sprays soap and water all over your car. After that finished and I started driving down the highway, I started hearing this beating sound.

I quickly figured out what it was: The gas cap! In my haste to get the receipt and jump back in the car, I had forgotten to put the cap back on.

And then, the reality set in that I just went through a car wash with my gas cap open.

I pulled over, closed the gas cap and went ahead and drove home. (This is about a 20 mile drive).

So, right now, my cars in the garage and it sounded fine all the way home.

But I have no idea how much, if any, water got into my gas tank.

I was hoping there might be a guru in this forum who could give me some much needed guidance.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Not a GURU, but you probably didn`t get too much in the tank. You could (for good measure) try something like HEET, which sorta captures water and helps dissapate it. Or just drive and hope for the best, until it`s time to fill up again.
Unfortunately, the HHR gets GREAT fuel milage.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Try a bottle of "dry gas", Christy is one brand, this will help, also, keep your tank at least 1/2 full for a couple weeks. You probably won't have any freezing issues, but it's good you caught it, you may want to replace the fuel filter, but I'd wait for a few more opinions here and make decisions based on them. (no one person is 100% right)
Old 02-18-2007, 04:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing as Curt. A little dry gas and change the fuel filter just to be safe. If you dont hear any sputtering, you should be safe.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 PM

You`re in Alabama, so there`s not much chance of freezing, is there?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Black Beauty, you need to turn on the Weather Channel. The panhandle of Florida has had lows in the upper 20's the past few nights. Alabama has been even colder. I know it's not nearly as bad as what you're suffering through but it's not what we're used to.

As for the gas tank, I was wondering how much soap got in there and how that would affect the gas.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
As for the gas tank, I was wondering how much soap got in there and how that would affect the gas.
Will it fart bubbles?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Will it fart bubbles?
Only if it backfires.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:40 PM
ray

Hey guys,

I keep the HHR in my garage at night so I'm not worried about it icing up.

My knowledge on cars is pretty limited so I didn't know how much water should cause concern (whether it be a drop or a gallon).

I think I'll follow the advice to keep the tank half full for the next couple of weeks and using HEET.

Anyway, thanks so much for the responses!

I at least feel better.

It's just been one of those days....

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I'm concerned about this too, but when the machine dispenses the soap, it's just a light spray (compared to the water shooting out at a high velocity). So {knock on wood} it probably wasn't a signficant amount.

Ok, I'm off to Wal-Mart.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:42 PM

Just add some dry gas and drive it. The fuel filter is in the tank as I have been informed. a little hard to service.

Quick Reply: Possible Water in Gas Tank. Please advise...