Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Posting for a new member with a "Dingy Towing" issue..

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Deceased

Posting for a new member with a "Dingy Towing" issue..

We have a new member from Texas called Bobby Lee and not being an expert on Dingy Towing HHR's, I'm posting up the text from his PM for the experienced Dingy Towers to weigh in on.

Personally, I think the dealer is feeding him a line of bull, but here goes...

"Newbie here with a question. I tow my 2008 HHR behind my antique GMC motor home. All the instructions that I could find on towing say to remove the #8 (2 amp) fuse before towing, leave the key in the switch and go. This worked for over a year with several "tows", except for one time in Canton, TX where it had to be taken by wrecker to the dealer who did something to the ignition switch that allowed the key to be removed.

I recently had the "ignition switch recall" done then removed the #8 fuse and went on a 230 mile "tow". The fuse was reinstalled and now the key will not come out of the ignition switch. Called the dealer who did the "switch" and was told I would have to bring the car in so they could "program" it to remove the key. They would charge for this. Is there a way to do this without going to a dealer?"

So gang, let's hear your thoughts.

And I'll include a link to this thread in my reply PM so he can answer your questions directly.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 AM

Well since it happened before, it has absolutely nothing to do with the recall.

Did he try the method outlined in the Owners Manual to remove the key?

I am thinking most likely the shift/brake interlocks are gummed up and freeze after long intervals of non-use.

You should try to engage with the service people to find out just what they are doing. "They did something" is pretty annoying to me, I don't pay people for things they can't or won't explain. And even under warranty you are paying for service, just upfront.