Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Door Lock Failure/Clicking Sound In Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 AM

Power Door Lock Failure/Clicking Sound In Center Console

Hey guys! Thought I'd pick your brains on an issue that I have with my 2007 HHR LT. Over the past few months I've steadily lost the use of my power door locks, regardless of whether they were activated with the key fob or with the door lock button on the door. I was down to just the rear passenger door lock working until yesterday. Now when I attempt to activate the door locks via the key fob or door button I get nothing except for a faint click sound which seems to come from the center console area.

To me this seems like a different issue than the key fob failure or the sticky door lock rods issue described in other threads. Could it be an electrical problem? I'm not sure if it can be related but I also have that automatic shifter issue where I sometimes have to tap the shift knob in park in order for the key to full disengage from the ignition. (Hope that makes sense).

Has anybody experienced this same door lock issue? I'm hoping this can be a simple fix and not something that needs to be taken into the dealer since I'm out of warranty. Looking forward to receiving feedback on this problem.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM

Exact same situation as mine, seems very electrical or odd that they all seem to start at the same time without any door panel work in the equation. Did you ever get a reply?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Actually, I did. Took it to a dealer on a separate matter and they diagnosed it as being a BCM problem that required it's replacement. I authorized them to go ahead with the replacement but when they did it didn't resolve the issue. Now they are telling me it's the power door locks themselves so I have to bring it back to finally fix this. Not really pleased, especially since after I drove away I noticed that my power sunroof doesn't work now.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM

my doors stopped locking when i'd shift into drive, but after going into the CID and playing around, they started working again. that was a few months ago.
now the same problem is compounded by a clicking in the shifter when i hit the brakes.

i'm searching forums for fixes, but am coming up empty
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 AM

I have had the same problem for a while too. I took the doors apart and I think its the actuators for the locks and not a power problem. Mine went out one at a time starting with the back rear then the front months later.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM

My Fix

My 2009 had this problem with the Passenger door lock not working reliably almost since it was new. This month I decided to fix the problem. My problem was not the commonly stated door lock plunger through the door panel problem, as the door lock still did not work well with the door panel removed.

Took the latch/lock mechanism out and replaced a motor inside the unit. The electronic lock is not a solenoid, but a small motor.

Since the OP has had each of his locks fail in sequence – this maybe his problem.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM

UPDATE:mine seems to be temperature coordinated.
on the colder days, auto lock with the shifter doesn't work, and i get that clicking sound.
warmer days, it's golden.
odd
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bowtieboy68
on the colder days, auto lock with the shifter doesn't work, and i get that clicking sound.
odd

Not odd. Grease is thicker when it is cold.
Exactly how mine was for years. Cold weather had many problems, summer it was fine.

EDIT: Ignore this last parragraph;
Also the clicking in the shifter is normal when you depress the brake pedal. It is the brake shift interlock safety. Another click you will hear when you depress the button on the shifter is the key interlock activating. You can actually put your finger up into the steering column access hole and feel it move.

Last edited by Sno White; 03-03-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by bowtieboy68
odd
I am having the same problem. I am thinking it may be in the gear selection switch on top of the trans. It's $75. The transmission also shifts harder when it acting up. Leads me to think the bcm thinks it's still in park.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 AM

I know this thread is old andby now everyone is aware and solved their problems with door locks and the clicking sound coming from center console area but I thought I would share my recent experience with that problem.
I have a 2006 HHT LT with automatic transmission, 103,000 miles. A couple days ago auto door lock stopped working when I put selector in Drive and when I stopped and put selector in Park doors would not unlock automatically. I went to DIC and verified that ALL had been selected for door unlock and also set to auto unlock when shift selector put in Park position. I then selected the option in the DIC to allow doors to unlock automatically when key turned to off position. Doors automatically unlocked with DIC set to that choice. Then I confirmed doors would unlock and lock with FOB and that I could lock all doors manually and unlock manually with the door lock switch on the drivers door while driving. Also each time I pushed the brake pedal I heard the clicking sound coming from the center console.
I disconnected the positive and negative battery cables and checked battery voltage and it was 12.31 volts which is about a 61% charge. I charged battery to 100% and hooked up the cables then went for a test drive and everything worked perfectly. I went back into the DIC to make sure all the settings were set to my preferences.

Quick Reply: Power Door Lock Failure/Clicking Sound In Center Console