Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 PM

Question Power mirrors

I've searched for problems with the power mirrors. Both of my mirrors on my 09 stopped working at the same time. Today I changed the 5amp MIR fuse (#21 I believe) and replaced the mirror switch......still nothing. Am I missing something, is there another fuse perhaps? Strange that they both should quit at the same time.....if anyone has any insight into this problem, I would surely appreciate your input.....Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

1st thing would be to pull the control switch back out and check to see if there is power to it.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Yes I guess that there probably is no power to the switch for some reason. I thought it might be a simple solution like a relay that needed to be replaced, or a bad ground somewhere that needed to be cleaned. I'm waiting for the parts to become available for the ignition switch recall, they will call for an appointment, I'll have them look at the mirrors at the same time.....better that me fiddling with the wiring or worse. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Had that same problem on my niece's Saturn Sky and it ended up being the 7.5A BCM Elect fuse as power for the mirrors comes from the BCM. Not sure if HHRs are set up the same way but much of the electronics are similar.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:15 PM

.....sounds logical, I will definitely check the BCM fuse.........as a matter of fact I think I'll check all the fuses while I'm at it. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Well. Count me out for trying to help.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by sfox410
.....sounds logical, I will definitely check the BCM fuse.........as a matter of fact I think I'll check all the fuses while I'm at it. Thanks!
I case you don't know the BCM is behind the cover on the right side of the console to the left of and below the glove compartment. Pull that cover and you'll see the fuses on the upper portion of the BCM.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by db/sb
Had that same problem on my niece's Saturn Sky and it ended up being the 7.5A BCM Elect fuse as power for the mirrors comes from the BCM. Not sure if HHRs are set up the same way but much of the electronics are similar.
According to the wiring diagram in the repair manual, the side mirrors on the HHR are not powered thru the BCM.
The diagram only shows the mirrors getting it's power feed from the underhood fuse block. 5 amp fuse .

Just about every other thing in the HHR operates thru the BCM, (according to the diagrams), including the cabin rear view mirror. Odd that the side mirrors don't.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 PM

Taken verbatim from the 2009 HHR service manual:

Outside Mirror Description and Operation

Power Mirror System Components

The power mirror system consists of the following components:

• Mirror direction switch -- Controls the left, right, up and down movements of the mirrors
• Mirror select switch -- Allows the operator to select the mirror to be moved
• Left outside mirror -- Contains both the horizontal and vertical mirror motors
• Right outside mirror -- Contains both the horizontal and vertical mirror motors
BCM ELECT 7.5A fuse -- Located in the body control module (BCM) fuse panel and supplies power for the power mirror system

Each of the outside power mirrors contains 2 motors. The up-down motor operates the vertical directions and the left-right motor operates the horizontal directions. Each of the power mirror motors are internally circuit breaker protected.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Odd. I'm looking at the 2008 repair manual schematics.

Under the Power Mirrors section it shows the schematics for the both the side mirrors AND the interior rear view mirror.
Shows the interior mirror with a 10 amp feed from the BCM. Shows the side mirror feed from the 5 amp underhood fuse. No BCM connection.

Wonder what is correct here.

Quick Reply: Power mirrors