Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Mirrors Blow Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Power Mirrors Blow Fuses

Hello to one and all! I've been lurking in here for awhile. Lots of great info that everyone has shared.

Has anyone else had an issue with the power mirror switch blowing fuses? I can change the fuse and it works for whichever side mirror it is on, but when I switch to the other, it blows the fuse. I have had the problem since I bought the car new in 07. Then promptly went to work in various spots around the country, so I never had time to get it back in for warranty. Recently I had the car in for body work (someone caved in the door). I had the dealer check it then and their diagnosis was that it was BOTH window motors.

Somehow I find that hard to believe....

As an added bonus, the radio only works if the car is sitting in the sun for a few hours and gets good and hot. If it's cold, I only get sound from the front left tweeter. Sounds worse than an old AM radio!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by dfornet
Hello to one and all! I've been lurking in here for awhile. Lots of great info that everyone has shared.

Has anyone else had an issue with the power mirror switch blowing fuses? I can change the fuse and it works for whichever side mirror it is on, but when I switch to the other, it blows the fuse. I have had the problem since I bought the car new in 07. Then promptly went to work in various spots around the country, so I never had time to get it back in for warranty. Recently I had the car in for body work (someone caved in the door). I had the dealer check it then and their diagnosis was that it was BOTH window motors.

Somehow I find that hard to believe....

As an added bonus, the radio only works if the car is sitting in the sun for a few hours and gets good and hot. If it's cold, I only get sound from the front left tweeter. Sounds worse than an old AM radio!
I can understand your frustration with the entire situation. Not many people know they can visit other shops to compare diagnosis information and pricing so if you have done this already, it might be an avenue you would want to try.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Deceased

At first blush I'd say its a bad switch or a dead short in the wiring harness, start with the switch, and work your way from that.

As for your head unit, sounds like a "cold solder" joint, they'll act up with temperature changes. No real remedy except to change out the head unit.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
As for your head unit, sounds like a "cold solder" joint, they'll act up with temperature changes. No real remedy except to change out the head unit.
or to tear it out, break it down, and find that cold solder joint and resolder. I can't throw nothing away until I at least take a stab at repairing it. Yeah, I got lots of spare time LOL
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Deceased

You're one of the few who'll tackle that these days whopper, its doable, and I've done it too. But you have to persevere and be very patient in tracking down a bad solder joint, unless it cooperates by being "obvious". The fun ones are broken traces on a circuit board that are almost to small to see.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM

I had the same issue with the mirrors on my 2006 I just recently bought. I replaced the switch and now everything works fine. For the stereo I don't really have any idea, a person may find a good replacement on eBay if you were to still want the factory head unit.