Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering Loss and Service Airbag Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM

Power Steering Loss and Service Airbag Indicator

Hey there...

While changing a flat tire the other day, i had to unhook my stereo in the back (Amp and Subwoofer). Upon doing this, the power and ground wire touched and sparked. After this happened, my car lost it's power steering and has an always on Service Airbag Soon indicator on the dash.

I have tried EVERYTHING on here to get this problem fixed.

Disconnected the battery for an hour, then reconnected.
Checked ALL of the fuses in the car (None Blown).
Disconnected Fuses 41 and 43 for a couple of hours to try and reset the computer, no luck.

I have an aftermarket CD Player in the car and I know that a lot of the security goes through the stock stereo. Should I try replacing that so It can "Clear" the issue, then re-install my aftermarket stereo?

Anyone have any ideas?

I really appreciate any help as i'm STUCK without my car currently...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Deceased

I'd take it to someplace like Autozone or the equivalent where you live and have the codes pulled to see what's going on. Here's a link to the trouble codes...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/list-diagnostic-trouble-codes-2008-2010-hhr-14259/

I almost hate to say it, but you may have damaged one of the modules like the Body Control Module with the momentary short to ground. Once you have the codes we can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM

Okay, I can try that. I forgot to mention that other than the power steering loss and service airbag issue, EVERYTHING else works. Keyfob, power windows / Seats, remote start, etc... Only two issues are mentioned above....

Wont get home until Friday to find out