Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power steering motor or module??? Which one has failed this time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Power steering motor or module??? Which one has failed this time?

Hello all,
I have the off/on power steering issue...again.
I replaced the motor about two years or so ago and it has started happening again. I called the dealer to ask if it has been included in the recalls yet but it has not. So I asked about warranty on the motor I bought and its only a 1 year, so looks like I"ll be buying another.

I asked him for pricing and he said that it could be the EPS module and not the motor and of course he would need it for at least an hour to hook it up and find out which has gone bad.

My question here is, has anyone had to replace the module??
I pulled the motor and basically just looked at it and shook the heck out of it and put it back in and that did nothing of course.

SO any ideas on how to determine which it could be or is it most likely just the motor again and I should change that?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Deceased

I'd say that the odds of it being another failed EPS motor are pretty high, but if the dealer doesn't charge the proverbial "arm and a leg" for hooking up a scan tool, have the module ruled out.

But after looking back through various power steering threads, you're probably looking at a 95% or higher chance that the motor pooped out on you again.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM

thats what I fugured since I hadn't seen anyone changing the modules. I think I'll hit ebay this time and save $40 buck.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Well its been a while, but I just replaced the motor at lunch today with a new one from the dealer (got it done in 12 minutes from picking tools out to putting them away, at least it is not a tough job)
Anyway I fire it up and not even out of park yet and the steering warning comes on. So I guess its a module/shaft that I'll be doing next...
any tips on proceedure or upgraded p/n?
thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM

by the way....
I'll be posting this for sale soon so if anyone is interested I'll do $85.00 shipped???? seemes to be the going rate on the "bay" was installed for about 20 miles. "like new"
PM me....
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

How about the basics? Did you check the fuses/relays?
Not sure on your year, but the 2010 owners manual shows a #19 fuse in the cabin fuse box and a #1 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box: both for the electric power steering.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Mine is an 06', Built in July of 2005. There is a tsb on these but even though it states 06-10 the dealer says mine is not included... that figures. Its just for the motor replacement anyway and thats obviously not my issue currently.

No I didn't check fuses again, I guess it only takes a second and is easy to do so Ill check them, but it comes on occasionally but is off 90% of the time now.

I found a motor/module/column on ebay for 100.00, says its new so I'll be picking that up probably.

I had the column recall done years ago, should that have included the module?

Does anyone have a how to on swapping out this unit? I have searched and can't locate anything...
Thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 PM

Check your PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM

So I am guessing that no one on here has had to change out the column/module?

I was lucky enough to be able to read the service book on this job and it seems very extensive! Of course everything in those books sound near impossible unless you are a tech which I am not.

I read that the column/shaft/motor assembly also comes with the ignition switch and related parts hich leads me to believe I will need to get it reprogrammed afterwards...? Someone please tell me I'm wrong about that.
Also it looks as though you pretty much remove the intermediate shaft during this job. i was told by the GM service dept. years ago that I needed to replace that shaft to remedy my front end clunk, but it wasn't covered so I didn't get it done. Looks like this is going to be a huge job.

Any info from someone who has done this would be GREATLY appreciated and very helpful...
I am going to purchase the column/shaft assembly tonight and locate the intermediate shaft from somewhere unless I talk myself out of doing this before then
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM

Make sure that you get the key that belongs to the column!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be able to just switch the lock cylinders, but you have to be tricky to program your old key to the new column. The key programing routine is in your Owner Manual or the Service Manual, but it requires that both keys be used in the cylinder and you have a time limit. That would be the only programing needed, you will have to figure out the logistics of it for yourself though.

In other words, it involves put the key that is already matched to the column into the cylinder, remove that key, insert the "old" (from the old column) key into the cylinder. The catch being both keys will not fit the same cylinder.

Quick Reply: Power steering motor or module??? Which one has failed this time?