Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering/Service Air Bag Message

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Power Steering/Service Air Bag Message

After starting my 2010 HHR this morning I got a message "Power Steering" in the DIC. Sure enough, the steering wheel would not budge. Turned it off and restarted. This time no warning about Power Steering, but a message "Service Air Bag". Steering Wheel turned like normal. Seatbelt icon stayed on as I drove away. Stopped and turned engine off and back on. The Service Air Bag message disappeared, no Seatbelt icon and all was well the rest of the morning commute. The only thing different from any other day is I did not start or drive the HHR yesterday. Any ideas what this is? I just made sure all the fuses were seated properly. Some were not completely pushed in. I am not sure if this is something that could result in my Power Steering going out while in motion.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 PM

Probably not. But, check to see if the 2 halves of the fuse box are properly mated. Also, check the nuts that connect the 2 cables to the fuse box, the RED one is battery + and the BLACK one is Power Steering.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Hello tucsondivots,

It's a bummer to hear about the different warning messages you experienced today. If this is something you are planning to work with your dealership to have diagnosed, please let me know and I would be happy to offer my support throughout the process. I can be reached via PM.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 PM

I agree with don check the battery cable connections. I found mine loose and it would make all kinds of strange things happen. You may also want to get the battery tested a failing battery can cause this also.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
I agree with don check the battery cable connections. I found mine loose and it would make all kinds of strange things happen. You may also want to get the battery tested a failing battery can cause this also.
The battery is only 5 months old, but I did think it turned over a little slow (did not drive the day before).
Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Probably not. But, check to see if the 2 halves of the fuse box are properly mated. Also, check the nuts that connect the 2 cables to the fuse box, the RED one is battery + and the BLACK one is Power Steering.
Great, I will check this.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tucsondivots
The battery is only 5 months old, but I did think it turned over a little slow (did not drive the day before).
That's usually my first clue to check my battery and all the connections - and if the battery gets drained a little, or is on the low-charge side, all sorts of weird electrical things happen to these vehicles.

ie: I left the doors open for 3-4 hours with the interior lights on while I was changing door handles, and when it was started the next day, it took two tries to get it to fire up, and the instrument panel light up like a Christmas tree, along with running REAL rough. I took it for a 5 mile run, and it has been fine since. "low battery"!!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
That's usually my first clue to check my battery and all the connections - and if the battery gets drained a little, or is on the low-charge side, all sorts of weird electrical things happen to these vehicles.

ie: I left the doors open for 3-4 hours with the interior lights on while I was changing door handles, and when it was started the next day, it took two tries to get it to fire up, and the instrument panel light up like a Christmas tree, along with running REAL rough. I took it for a 5 mile run, and it has been fine since. "low battery"!!
All fuse box connections were tight. This is a 5 month old battery, but I wonder if that is the issue. I did not start it for one day prior to the dic messages. I usually drive it everyday, but hate to think it would drain if parked at the airport for several days. Can Autozone (where I bought it) determine if it is not holding a charge properly?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Deceased

Yes, the auto parts store should be able to load test the battery for you.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 AM

My new battery will die if I leave the door open for a couple of hours to. Headlights kill it in about 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: Power Steering/Service Air Bag Message