Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Pressure switch for AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Pressure switch for AC

I want to replace this on my 08 SS and I can't seem to locate it or move enough stuff around to see where it is. Has anyone already replaced this? From what I've read it can be changed without vacuuming the system. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Here's the location on an LNF. I don't understand how your going to change it without vacuuming the system. Is there a valve in the orifice where it mounts? Some vehicles are set up that way. I haven't changed one on an HHR.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Everything I've read says there's a Schrader valve to prevent discharge.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:23 PM

On all other cars (GM and others) on which I changed pressure valves, it screwed onto a Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve or fuel pressure test valve).

The picture of the new pressure switch above looks like it also screws into a Schrader valve, but I can't tell for sure.

Why do you suspect a bad pressure switch? If you were sure there was enough refrigerant in the system,and the compressor doesn't come on, jumpering across the switch to engage the compressor clutch would show if it was bad or not. You have to be sure there is enough refrigerant in the system, otherwise the test would only show the switch was doing its job correctly.

Steve
Old 06-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
On all other cars (GM and others) on which I changed pressure valves, it screwed onto a Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve or fuel pressure test valve).

The picture of the new pressure switch above looks like it also screws into a Schrader valve, but I can't tell for sure.

Why do you suspect a bad pressure switch? If you were sure there was enough refrigerant in the system,and the compressor doesn't come on, jumpering across the switch to engage the compressor clutch would show if it was bad or not. You have to be sure there is enough refrigerant in the system, otherwise the test would only show the switch was doing its job correctly.

Steve
When I bought the car the condenser was punchered. Also the seller told me "I might want" to change that switch. I installed the condenser and everything held vacuum but too much refrigerant was put in so now it cuts off when accelerating. I figure when I take it back to the shop, we'll put the correct amount and change that at the same time.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
The only reason I mentioned that is because the GM HHR service manual talks about recovering the refrigerant as part of the process and, as I stated, I've not done this on an HHR. I've worked on many systems (see bottom line in signature) including late 70s to mid 80s Nissan/Datsun and other Japanese vehicles that didn't have a schrader valve behind the pressure valve so, in my experience, I wouldn't say "all" other cars.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
The only reason I mentioned that is because the GM HHR service manual talks about recovering the refrigerant as part of the process and, as I stated, I've not done this on an HHR. I've worked on many systems (see bottom line in signature) including late 70s to mid 80s Nissan/Datsun and other Japanese vehicles that didn't have a schrader valve behind the pressure valve so, in my experience, I wouldn't say "all" other cars.
Thanks man. I'm going to call chevy service and see if try will tell me without a credit card number:) maybe I can ask a service advisor that frequent these forums.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 AM

Two things; I'm fairly certain that the HHR does have a scharader valve there based on fastsuv's comment, a little research, and a couple of people I've asked. And based on what you've said I don't think you have to change it anyway. Just have a shop remove some of the refrigerant with a recovery machine until it's within range and you should be okay.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Two things; I'm fairly certain that the HHR does have a scharader valve there based on fastsuv's comment, a little research, and a couple of people I've asked. And based on what you've said I don't think you have to change it anyway. Just have a shop remove some of the refrigerant with a recovery machine until it's within range and you should be okay.
Thanks man that's what I'm going to do. Should be Friday afternoon. Gotta get the SS running right so I can sell my LS.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:38 PM

db/sb
I've yet to do anything to it yet but when sitting at idle when the compressor is on and blowing cold, there's a loud humming/revving noise sounding like it's coming from the condenser I just replaced. Does that sound like something you've heard?

Quick Reply: Pressure switch for AC