Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problem with my USB/Thumb Drive/Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Problem with my USB/Thumb Drive/Flash Drive

I have a 2010 HHR SS. But I believe these USB were available on other models.

My problem is getting the thing to work and I have used two different thumb drives. One thumb drive does not work in the car at all but works fine on my computer and home stereo. No matter how I format it or reload it, the car gets nothing from it. The other thumb drive works but the car will only play about half the the somes in random mode even though it reads all the songs when going through the libary.

Anyone else have problems like this? Is it the stereo or the thumb drives?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by RBodeman
I have a 2010 HHR SS. But I believe these USB were available on other models.

My problem is getting the thing to work and I have used two different thumb drives. One thumb drive does not work in the car at all but works fine on my computer and home stereo. No matter how I format it or reload it, the car gets nothing from it. The other thumb drive works but the car will only play about half the the somes in random mode even though it reads all the songs when going through the libary.

Anyone else have problems like this? Is it the stereo or the thumb drives?
Uh yup. I have and many others have. The GM USB system is pure crap......
I use a CENTRON DATA Pro and it works but thats after many other brands. GM never tested any flash drives to see what is compatible or not. Good luck because it is truly frustrating. I traded my SS in for a Hyundai last Saturday and what do you know.....the USB port plays ALL of my different flash drives with no issues.
Try the Centron......its the only brand that ever worked for me while I owned the SS

By the way, dont use random....its useless and does not work correctly.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 07-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM

Wow big disappointment there. I was very excited to see the SS had the USB drive. But so far its been pretty much crap like you said. Works sometimes other times no. Random only plays half the stuff and other time it says no data.

Next time I have the car in the dealer for repairs I going to put this on the list to fix. Let Chevy tell me they have something in my car that does not work.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 AM

This one works good in my 2010
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Xporte.../dp/B000VE2RP6
Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
I use a CENTRON DATA Pro.
Do you mean a Centon DataStick Pro? I only ask because that's what I use and I've had no problems with it. Plus it's a much better value. The Patriot linked above is 8GB for $11.99. I paid $15.98 for my Centon and it's 32GB......
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM

So thats 2 for the Centron and 1 for the Patriot.

I guess Ill go with the one that gets the most okays here. Im kind of tired experimenting on my own here. lol.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by RBodeman
Wow big disappointment there. I was very excited to see the SS had the USB drive. But so far its been pretty much crap like you said. Works sometimes other times no. Random only plays half the stuff and other time it says no data.

Next time I have the car in the dealer for repairs I going to put this on the list to fix. Let Chevy tell me they have something in my car that does not work.
I can understand your disappointment with this. Please, let me know how thing go when you take the HHR in for this. What other concerns are you having?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 PM

Okay had the car in for replacement of bad struts on the tailgate today, so I mentioned to the Chevy service dept that I have been having problems with the USB port. I described that sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Most of the time it only reads about half the songs on the thumb drive. The guy says he would have it looked at while fixing the struts.

He returned to me and said the USB is working fine and they could not reproduce the issue I was having. He told me the guy even used his own thumb drive in the car and it worked. But it has been documented I have had a problem with it so if there are future issues I can bring it in.

Well I leave, disappointd of course and get in the car and drive off. About 5 miles down the road I turn on the radito. The USB starts playing the same song in the EXACT same spot it was when I dropped the car off!!! What the??!! I ask myself.....How is this possible if the guy used his own thumb drive? I then pull the thrumb drive out and plug it back in the USB and it starts at the beginning of a completely different song.

This tells me the guy was full of it. Never tested anything.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Another update and another GM disappointment.

Had the car into a different Chevy dealership to look at a few things, including the USB port which does not work as its suppose to. I described how the USB port is not reading all the music in random mode on some thumb drives and not reading anything on others. I left all my thumb drives in the car for the dealer to test.

I pick up the car and they say, yeah some of yours don't work but we had a mechanic test it with one of his and it works fine. So their conclusion was that I must have bad thumb drives.

So I asked them, did they test my "bad" thumb drives in other cars to see if they work. No they did not. I asked if they thoroughly tested the mechanic's thumb drive to see if the USB port reads ALL the music on his thumb drive in random mode. I don know was the Service Managers answer.

Well gee thanks for doing nothing then. He pretty much just repeated what I told him in the morning when I dropped of the car.

All the thumb drives I have work in my wife's Toyota. And to make it worse, I purchased a Patriot Xporter Boost thumb drive which others have stated above would work. Well that does not either. The USB port reads nothing on the thumb drive.

My USB port does not work and the dealerships just don't seem to get it. They yah they work but they continue to not work. I buy thumb drive after thumb drive which all work in the Toyota but not have fulled worked in the HHR.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM

@RBodeman, I apologize for my time delay in getting with you about this as I was out of the office all last week since my husband had complications from surgery.

I would like to look into your concerns with the USB in your HHR. I will send you a private message of the information I will need to proceed.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Problem with my USB/Thumb Drive/Flash Drive