Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problems with Accessories working on "Accessory" position on ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Problems with Accessories working on "Accessory" position on ignition

Good day all. I just recently purchased a 2006 Chevy HHR LS. I noticed the Cigarrete/ DC plugins do not shut off when you turn the car off. I have a rechargeable flashlight that I plug into the socket to have for emergencies or any use needed. I looked up some research on "creating" a dc socket for my flashlight that will turn off when the car turns off. I learned (mostly on this forum, it is awesome resource to have) many people are tapping into the brown accessory wire that comes from the ignition in the green connector. I wired the socket up, with fuse, tested for power during and after the installation process and all was fine. I plugged my flashlight in, it worked for a few seconds and shut off. Now I have no power to the brown accessory wire. My accessories position on ignition no longer works, and the key lock is stuck, I have to manually depress it to get the key to come out (under the steering column). Everything seems to work once I put the keys in the "on" position and after starting it. Just not on accessory. I have since disconnected the extra socket I put in, wired everything as it was with no installation, tried to reset the BCM by unplugging the Neg cable for 10 minutes. I also checked several obvious fuses with no blown ones. Any suggestions help with this issue would be great!

Thanks and have a good day

Benjamin
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Congratulations on the HHR, Benjamin! I’m sure there’ll be other members that will share their knowledge about your situation with you soon. Good luck with your project.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 AM

This open spot on the interior fuse panel is ignition on use. When the car is off and you open the door, it kills power.

Name:  Picture008.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  49.1 KB

That bolt you see on the side of the console is also a good spot to ground if you need it.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM

The easier way to reset the BCM, or disconnect the battery, is to remove the large fuse next to the battery (it looks like it is attached to the negative cable).

As to all of the other new problems, I dunno sounds like a fusible link or fuse that the flashlight somehow shorted.