Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problems after jumping my HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Problems after jumping my HHR

I have a scenario and i'm hoping that someone might have had a similar situation:

Some time back my car's battery had run down and I had to get it jumped. Instead of jumping it from the back battery the man used the front hookups that run to the back. After he jumped it my car felt like it was falling apart. The engine was shaking and it wouldn't go over 15 miles an hour. The message screen said something about power being drained from the motor. I drove it about 100 feet, shut off the engine and restarted it. worked fine. Since then the check engine light has not shut off, and when i take it to get a diagnostic ran, the reports come back with "multi engine misfire" but there is definitely no feeling of misfire. Has anything like this happened to anyone? What did you do. Any suggestions on what areas i should check?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Are you still under warranty?

If out and it seems to be running fine, take it to Advance or someplace and get the codes cleared and see if they come back. As far as jumping it from the front, that's what the terminals there are for. But you may have spiked something.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by JTylerKing
Instead of jumping it from the back battery the man used the front hookups that run to the back.

Are you sure you have Jumped the car Properly..... I know it sounds dumb but I mean Did you connect the negative to the shock tower or some other part of the body? because there is a post on under the hood that is actualy part of the fuse panel that can be mistaken for the neg battery hookup.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

<Cousin Eddie>

Smells like fried computers.

</Cousin Eddie>
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM

Is that what the guy that gave you a jump did? Did he connect to both red terminals.

He should of grounded black and connected to positive next to fuse box near front of vehicle? The red terminal closes to the fire wall is the power supply for the fuses? Did he connect to both red terms?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM

You are only supposed to use the positive terminal and ground the other on a piece of steel in the engine compartment. If you use both terminals you will blow fuses.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 PM

what he said. theres a grnd sticker next to one of the bolts on the drivers side shock tower. you can be jumped from it but i have had bad luck with jumping people from there. usually have to go to the battery.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM

Man that's just craaazy.

Be cool,

Booger
Old 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Booger
He should of grounded black and connected to positive next to fuse box near front of vehicle? The red terminal closes to the fire wall is the power supply for the fuses? Did he connect to both red terms?

NO NO NO
"Booger" said:
"The red terminal closes(t) to the fire wall is the power supply for the fuses?" WRONG

CORRECTED
The RED terminal closest to the firewall is the already fused power going to the Power Steering motor. This is why the Power Steering(EPS) fuse blows when people use this terminal to jump with. DO NOT connect anything to it!

Like “Booger” said put your positive cable on the protected red terminal closest to the front of the vehicle.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 AM

SnoWhite, I detect a little skepticism ? Booger said nothing of the sort!

Quick Reply: Problems after jumping my HHR