Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Programming FOB

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up Programming FOB

Just a heads up here. Read a bunch of threads about this and perhaps I've got some new info that might be useful.

I just got a 2011 HHR and also 2 new FOBs from Amazon for $15.00 and delivered in 2 days for a couple of bucks.
Was planning on finding a locksmith to program it, or someone with a Snap On scanner. I mentioned it to a guy I know and he said he just last year bought a pricey SnapOn scanner, a Solus Edge, but didn't know if it would do that. So yesterday he gave it to me to try and sure enough it programmed the 2 new FOBS and the old original. You have to do all at once.

So, besides dealers and locksmiths, anyone with a SnapOn scanner, mechanics, body shops etc can do this.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 PM

Thats what "Tech2 or similar" means. In fact now, there are cheap modules available for pros and limited use modules for us.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Thats what "Tech2 or similar" means. In fact now, there are cheap modules available for pros and limited use modules for us.
Didn't see that in any of the threads I read other than the Dorman which apparently only works on their brand and iffy at that.
Got a link for a cheap one?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM

The "Dorman" seems to work with all, apparently when it doesn't work is with a knock off fob. They have a limited use limit of 3 or 4 programmings.

I am guessing that locksmiths can get the same thing with no limit, for a price. The module that comes with a fob only add about $10.

It has been known that anybody that spent $1000 for a computer interface could do it, as well as almost anything a Tech2 can do. I think the SnapOn and others can flash firmware, the problem is paying Tis2web for the online firmware, a couple hundred $ a day.

Now that GM has deprecated the Tech2 you can get them cheap.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by tiapetra
Just a heads up here. Read a bunch of threads about this and perhaps I've got some new info that might be useful.

I just got a 2011 HHR and also 2 new FOBs from Amazon for $15.00 and delivered in 2 days for a couple of bucks.
Was planning on finding a locksmith to program it, or someone with a Snap On scanner. I mentioned it to a guy I know and he said he just last year bought a pricey SnapOn scanner, a Solus Edge, but didn't know if it would do that. So yesterday he gave it to me to try and sure enough it programmed the 2 new FOBS and the old original. You have to do all at once.

So, besides dealers and locksmiths, anyone with a SnapOn scanner, mechanics, body shops etc can do this.
Dangit...I was just at my body guys shop this morning. I need to call him Friday so I will ask. I will also check with my dad. He was a Certified Master Mechanic for years. And he invested a lot in Snap-On tools. He has been retired for awhile so I don't know if he would have a scanner. I borrowed his pickle forks for my control arm replacements. My mom said...Ron did you ever think you would be loaning tools to one of your daughter's? He laughed and said...No. And he added...I'm gonna need those back.