Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Radio draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 AM

Radio draining battery

My car battery started going dead overnight out of the blue. After being late for work a couple of times and getting sick of getting a boost to get started I bought a new battery. Two days later my battery was dead again. Somebody said it might be your radio draining it so I took the fuse out for the radio and my battery has not gone dead since. My question is why would this be happening?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Deceased

to the forum SadieLouise!

Well this is the first time I've heard of a "Parasitic Drain" issue on an HHR involving the audio system, but anything is possible.

I see from your profile that you have an '06, what audio system do you have? My thoughts are that if you have the "Premium" system with the amplified sub-woofer, you might have an issue with the amplifier on the sub not shutting off with the rest of the vehicle.

That being said, if you just have the base audio system, or the up-level, system without the sub, then you may have an issue with the head unit in the dash.

One more question, are you still using the factory radio, or is it an aftermarket one?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Thank you for trying to help me with my radio problem. I must admit I would rather have a car with no steering wheel than no radio so needless to say I have been more than a bit upset with what has been going on with it. I just went out and plugged the fuse back in so the radio would turn on hoping I could find out what kind it was. However the radio would turn on anymore. I would say it is toast for sure. It is the original radio that came with the car. If it has a sub woofer I wouldn't know. My next question, do I have to take the car to a dealer to get a new radio or can I take it to any place that sells them and have it installed? I read somewhere in my owners manual that a computer has to be reset or something if you get a new radio is that really true?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, if you get a factory replacement radio, the dealer needs to reset the computer to recognize the new factory radio. And yes, you can get a non-factory radio installed at places like Future Shop, Best Buy etc. - and they do not need a "reset" as such.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Be aware that if you go for for replacing the factory unit with an aftermarket one, some adapters and cables need to be installed at the same time to keep some of the features that the current system has, such as the turn signal chimes (which are provided via the factory radio), and the radio controls on the steering wheel (if yours has that already) - see this for an example - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/aftermarket-dvd-head-unit-installation-41209/

any reputable car audio shop will be aware of this and should take care of it all for you.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 PM

I don't know, just asking. Does the computer and/or anti-theft system need to have something done after you remove the radio fuse for a time, does it de-register? I do know that a new radio needs to be re-registered at least to the computer. I seem to remember that there is an RFID chip involved, but may be totally wrong.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Welcome!!!!

How are things going in your search for a new radio for your HHR?'

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service