Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rattle/Scrape/Knock from 2007 2.2L LT

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM

Rattle/Scrape/Knock from 2007 2.2L LT

Hello all!

So I've got an issue that has presented itself recently. My '07 LT 2.2L is at 117k~ miles and is now making, what I can only describe, a scrape, rattle or knocking noise in relation to acceleration or deceleration. I am going to attempt to attach a link to a video I had taken with the noise as best I could get.

I am editing the second video (it may not even make a difference). Here is the first

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you spun a rod bearing.. that's a low deep knock. Say..compared to a timing or valve train rattle. Definitely a knock, the check engine light is probably on. Do you have a scanner? How long have you owned it, regular oil changes/maintenance?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

That definitely does not sound healthy.

This might help to isolate the source - of course you will need a second person to assist:
Old 11-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you spun a rod bearing.. that's a low deep knock. Say..compared to a timing or valve train rattle. Definitely a knock, the check engine light is probably on. Do you have a scanner? How long have you owned it, regular oil changes/maintenance?
Thanks for the reply! The check engine light is not on I have been regular on oil changes. The last two changes have been full synthetic. I actually had the oil changed a few days ago, a couple of days after I heard the noise start up. I have owned this since 2008; I am the second owner of this vehicle. Had 32k miles on it.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
That definitely does not sound healthy.

This might help to isolate the source - of course you will need a second person to assist:
How to Find Noises in Cars - Noise Detection - YouTube
I will have to give this a try when I get a chance. Thanks for the reply
Old 11-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Has it ever been run low on oil (ie; below the ADD mark)? The reason I ask is I tried synthetic at high mileage, and it ate up the synthetic like mad - luckily I checked it just as it hit the add mark.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Has it ever been run low on oil (ie; below the ADD mark)? The reason I ask is I tried synthetic at high mileage, and it ate up the synthetic like mad - luckily I checked it just as it hit the add mark.
I think the last fill of synthetic may have been like that for me. I think I saw the light flash a couple of times a couple weeks before my oil change, but since it didn't stay on, I didn't think anything of it. Is synthetic not a good idea for high mileage?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 AM

I found this vid. I am not sure if the sound is close to this or not.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Administrator

On the low end of the I hope it's not internal!!! Take a look at the bracket for the air cleaner box and have a look at the flex joint in the exhaust pipe!!
Also is your timing chain tensioner the new or the old style!! ?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

The oil light flashed a couple of times? Well, anytime the oil light flashes while the engine is running, tis time to immediately pull over and check the oil level.

Sounds to me like the damage has been done to the bottom end.

synthetic for high mileage? Some here swear by it - but from my own experience, I would not recommend it unless one is VERY vigilant about checking the oil level frequently after making the change.

Quick Reply: Rattle/Scrape/Knock from 2007 2.2L LT