Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

rattling noise from cabin air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

more checking done to zero in on rattle/flutter noise

Already checked fender liner tabs, but what about the butyl patch? I thought that was on early model HHR's... mine is a '09. Besides, if a patch was present and loose, then wouldn't I have water leaks? Though I haven't seen any rain for a coupla months, I've had this noise for over a year and more, and there have never been any leaks.I also checked the engine filter assembly...nothing moves. I am wondering whether the plastic piece under the wipers can be fluttering at speed? I can rap on it with my knuckles, and it can vibrate. It is mounted securely, but maybe if I put something under it to attenuate vibrations, my rattle can be eliminated. I drove home today,60 miles with the radio off, so I could locate the exact spot. Upper dash area @ 75 mph or above, does it every time. A/C on or off, recirc on or off, dash vents or bilevel or floor only...everytime. I'm gonna remove the cabin filter when I leave from work tomorrow pm. to eliminate that possibility.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
I have this problem as well!

Originally Posted by working on it
No, its' not a snake. When I drive 70+ mph, especially in a headwind, I have a rattling sound coming from the passenger side dash area. I thought it was a bad fitting filter, but now that I'm on my third, different brands, I still have the noise. My wife's Cobalt does not. I keep forgetting to ask the service advisor(s), or my friend with a HHR, but here's my chance. I've searched the forum and not found a reference. My '04 Silverado makes a similar noise, but it's from the outside trim and a known problem (and fix), and not as frequent. But the HHR rattle sounds like it's internal. Anyone else have it?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Removed the cabin air filter this am. Still have the noise. Now I will focus on the plastic piece under the pass. side wiper. That has to be it. Won't have time 'til Saturday to fully investigate that piece and if it needs cusshioning or dbl.sided tape to hold it still.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Already checked fender liner tabs, but what about the butyl patch? I thought that was on early model HHR's... mine is a '09. Besides, if a patch was present and loose, then wouldn't I have water leaks? Though I haven't seen any rain for a coupla months, I've had this noise for over a year and more, and there have never been any leaks.I also checked the engine filter assembly...nothing moves. I am wondering whether the plastic piece under the wipers can be fluttering at speed? I can rap on it with my knuckles, and it can vibrate. It is mounted securely, but maybe if I put something under it to attenuate vibrations, my rattle can be eliminated. I drove home today,60 miles with the radio off, so I could locate the exact spot. Upper dash area @ 75 mph or above, does it every time. A/C on or off, recirc on or off, dash vents or bilevel or floor only...everytime. I'm gonna remove the cabin filter when I leave from work tomorrow pm. to eliminate that possibility.
We don't have the patch-I know because I have an 09 too.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Removed the cabin air filter this am. Still have the noise. Now I will focus on the plastic piece under the pass. side wiper. That has to be it. Won't have time 'til Saturday to fully investigate that piece and if it needs cusshioning or dbl.sided tape to hold it still.
Butly Patch was done away with for the late 07 model year, I believe..

I know my 08 does not have it either..
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM

perhaps fixed?

While changing oil Sunday, I was looking for anything loose (again). This time, I checked the insulating pad on the firewall. The fasteners were tight, but I started to tighten them even more. Twisting in all three wingnut-like fasteners, on the top edge, pulled the pad about 1" closer to (now touching) the firewall. And, I gorilla-taped the overlapping (right side) fender liner pieces to each other, and to the fender metal. I don't know what did the trick, but one of these adjustments knocked out the mystery noise. I only have driven about 20 miles at the required 70+ mph. but heard nary a sound. If the insulating pad shouldn't touch the firewall, someone let me know. Otherwise, I think the problems solved.UPDATE:Another 20+ miles at "rattle" speed. Still fixed. I may just tape the edges of the pad for good measure, and all other wind catchers unseen to the public eye.

Last edited by working on it; 08-24-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 PM

I was gonna suggest an oak leaf stuck in the fresh air intake, but sounds like you solved it.