Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

rear brake clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 AM

rear brake clicking noise

Was hopping you could help me out I have a 2010 hhr and about 24000 miles on it when I push on the breaks I get a clicking noise from driver side rear I have removed the drum every thing looks good still plenty of break pad left put it all back togher no more noise couple days later its back its driving me nuts any help would be great thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Under warranty. Let the dealer get the dirty fingernails.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Deceased

It sounds like you have a drum that's out of round, since its under warranty I'd heed firemangeorge's advice and take it straight to the dealer.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Dear v8sammi,

GM considers brake components, such as the brake rotors, calipers and all attaching hardware to be warrantable components that are covered under the New Vehicle Bumper to Bumper Warranty.
However, brake pads are considered a wear component and are not covered under the Bumper to Bumper warranty unless they fail due to a manufacturing defect. The specific warranty information about your specific situation is best determined through your dealership.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 AM

I seen rear drums make a clicking sound when braking before, because of the way the rear drum surface was cut like a record. it would pull the shoes away from the backing plate and the shoe would snap back. May need to get the drums resurfaced.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 AM
geg

rear pad makes the transverse motion inside the drum - and do not go to my grandmother.
This may be due to the curvature of the inner surface of the drum or damage of this surface.
Replacing the drum. I agree with the guys.

PS Do not forget to replace the pads with a drum - if drum is curved, it is reflected on your brake pads and new drum will be spoiled. Replace brake pads on both wheels..
Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Do you get the clicking when you apply the brakes gently? I have the same issue on my 2010. I do not hear the noise if I apply the brakes more firmly. Please advise what the dealer says when you take it in.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 AM

This sounds exactly what my 2010 is doing right now. I'd certainly be interested in the resolution here as well. With any luck I can avoid a trip to a GM dealership

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:48 AM

I just did the brakes all around on my 2007. Had the drums turned and new NAPA shoes. It immediately developed this same click or scrape noise. At first I had a real hard time figuring out whether tthe noise was from the front or rear. Assumed front because I bought drilled and slotted rotors. Finally had the wife drive the car with me in the back hanging out of the car to listen. It was the right rear. Tried adjusting it a few times and could not really see any reason why or where this noise was caused. Finally assumed the drum may have been cracked and bought two new drums from NAPA. Cracked or not... Problem solved.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM

It's Fixed!!

Finally! There was a service bulletin on this as folks said. Local dealer turned both rear drums (warranty) and no more noise! Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply: rear brake clicking noise