Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear Fender Pads Adhesion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Rear Fender Pads Adhesion

Good day Y'all,

I'd like to ask those people that have had there HHR painted due to the stone chipping problem whether or not you had the pads put back on the fenders?

If you had the pads put back on how well were they applied/stuck on?

My car's been in the shop for a week now getting the paint done and they told me that it was done today. I went to check it out after work when the body shop was closed and it seems as though they had not stuck the pads down well enough. If I pushed on the top or bottom of the pad I could actually depress it and then feel it rebound away from the fender when I released pressure.

I'm not happy with the way the fixed and repainted the damaged area or happy with the way these pads have been put back on. Now I'm going to have to start to battle with the body shop. Is it too much to ask for someone to do something right the first time???

How well did your experience go?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 PM

I had my boards put on before there was any damage to the fenders and they never removed the pads on mine.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Good day Y'all,

I'd like to ask those people that have had there HHR painted due to the stone chipping problem whether or not you had the pads put back on the fenders?

If you had the pads put back on how well were they applied/stuck on?

My car's been in the shop for a week now getting the paint done and they told me that it was done today. I went to check it out after work when the body shop was closed and it seems as though they had not stuck the pads down well enough. If I pushed on the top or bottom of the pad I could actually depress it and then feel it rebound away from the fender when I released pressure.

I'm not happy with the way the fixed and repainted the damaged area or happy with the way these pads have been put back on. Now I'm going to have to start to battle with the body shop. Is it too much to ask for someone to do something right the first time???

How well did your experience go?
Mine were never off. Like Deb I had them left on when the boards were installed. Could it be that maybe they used a thicker molding tape rather than the thin stuff? Maybe as time passes it will shrink giving a tighter fit?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 PM

I don't know if it's a different tape or what, that's not for me to figure out.

I picked up my HHR today and am returning it on tuesday after the long weekend so that they can fix the problems. They are going to take the pads off again, re-finish them because the edges weren't finished properly and hopefully re-apply them better. They also have to re-finish (fill in and sand) some of the other areas because there are still little pits and indentations. Also the color does not match, the silver they shot is significantly lighter, especially in the sun.

Hopefully they can get this stuff done right on the second attempt.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I don't know if it's a different tape or what, that's not for me to figure out.

I picked up my HHR today and am returning it on tuesday after the long weekend so that they can fix the problems. They are going to take the pads off again, re-finish them because the edges weren't finished properly and hopefully re-apply them better. They also have to re-finish (fill in and sand) some of the other areas because there are still little pits and indentations. Also the color does not match, the silver they shot is significantly lighter, especially in the sun.

Hopefully they can get this stuff done right on the second attempt.
That sucks for sure. Guess they did an express repair and hoped you would not really care.