Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear Hatch TSB - Info For Your Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:47 PM

Rear Hatch TSB - Info For Your Dealer

A few new HHR owners have experienced failures of the rear hatch due to a faulty membrane switch. Since the vehicle is so new many dealers aren't up to speed on what to check or how to fix the hatch problems. The following is a copy of the PIC memo (which precedes an official TSB), diagnosing the problem and explaining the proper correctional measures. If you have problems getting your rear hatch to open, print this out and take it to your dealer when you bring your car in. Hopefully this will save many new HHR owners lots of time. Here's the official PIC:

HHR Rear Hatch TSB

Rear Hatch Inoperative with Rear Touch Pad – keywords: fob handle key latch switch unlock

#PIC3631C - (Nov 29, 2005)

Problem: Rear Hatch Inoperative with Rear Touch Pad
Model: 2006 Chevrolet HHR

The following diagnosis may be helpful if the vehicle exhibits symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Rear hatch is inoperative with the rear touch pad.

Recommendation/Instructions:

First, make sure that the door lock switch or key fob UNLOCK button has been pressed 2 times. It is absolutely necessary to have all doors unlocked before the rear hatch will open from the touchpad. If still inoperative then remove the rear hatch panel, via the removable cover in the rear hatch inner panel at the bottom.

Unplug the actuator and install a test light in between terminals 1 and 3 of the actuator. Use the touch pad and watch for the testlight to illuminate for 1 second with every press of the touch pad. If light illuminates, replace the rear hatch actuator assembly.

Note: The NEW actuator/latch assembly will come with a long (1 foot) plastic strip hooked up to the manual release on the actuator assembly. This is to be removed from the latch before it is installed into the rear lift gate, as its for ease of production installing. (ONLY)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved
Old 12-23-2005, 11:01 PM

Repost. I posted it in the rear hatch thread a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:04 AM

I figured it needed to be a sticky in the "How-to" section so it doesn't get lost.
This way we don't have to keep re-posting it.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I figured it needed to be a sticky in the "How-to" section so it doesn't get lost.
This way we don't have to keep re-posting it.
Just busting your balls.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 AM

Mine feel fine.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 AM

BTW...I had mine replaced today as well as the drivers side mirror(I was getting a whistling sound from it above 40 mph)...I am however now getting a squeaky drivers seat and a squeaky clutch pedal...wondering if its something worth *****ing about to the dealer..

-wC
Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsee
BTW...I had mine replaced today as well as the drivers side mirror(I was getting a whistling sound from it above 40 mph)...I am however now getting a squeaky drivers seat and a squeaky clutch pedal...wondering if its something worth *****ing about to the dealer..

-wC
I get a whistle fom the drivers mirror, but it's only noticable with the window half way down.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 AM

mine was noticible with the window up and the radio on...they replaced the whole mirror...

-wC
Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by wheelsee

-wC
I also get a noisy drivers seat, but I think mine is just the cold weather, I'll see if it continues then i'll do something about it.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by snksknr94
Repost. I posted it in the rear hatch thread a couple of weeks ago.
I think that I was the one who started that thread. Appreaciate the help of the TSB notice It only took 2 weeks for the dealer to get the part to fix it.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch TSB - Info For Your Dealer