Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear Inner Fender Well

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM

Rear Inner Fender Well

Anyone have the specs on the fasteners for the rear inner fender well? The inner fender liner (the plastic part) is rattling. I have the HHR mudflaps and on occasion they would drag when I would pull out of where I used to park. This dragging loosened the fasteners. I tried pushing the fasteners back in, but they just aren't grabbing any longer. I would like to replace them, but I would rather hit the store first and get the parts I need before taking the rear wheel off.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Depending on which ones you mean, I think there are 2 kind used, should be available in the "help" section at your local Advance/Zone/O'reilly. Just pull one out and match it up.

Probably the "furry" ones, they look quarter inch to me.

If you want try your local GM dealer, they probably have them for a couple of bucks. Sometimes they surprise you by being actually reasonable in pricing.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

When I first got my SS I was looking for those annoying little rattles that these HHR's have. One thing I found was the loose way that GM had the fenderwells attached to the corner of the rear section. Those plastic fasteners didn't work well enough to suit me.
So. I replaced the 2 lower fasteners with a bolt/washer/nylock nut. Used some flat headed bolts. Just spray painted the heads black to match the fenderwell color.

Attachment 16052

Another thing I found was the center part of the liner had no fasteners. It would rattle if you tapped against it.
So, while I was doing the other fasteners, I just added a short self tapping screw here. I also think I slid a plastic "shim" under there before I installed the screw.

Attachment 16053

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

For shame, George. I see rust on the edge of your rotors

(Didn't know if we should call you "fireman" any longer. You are retired you know.)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for noticing Snoopy.

Actually, we've had a ton of rain over the last 8-10 days. Something like a total of 7 inches by my rain gauge. Been very humid.
Since I don't drive the SS in wet weather, it's just been sitting there growing surface rust.

P.S. Still have my Firefighter II and EMT certification. I may have retired from my paying job but will probably join up with the local volunteer department.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Snoopy
For shame, George. I see rust on the edge of your rotors

(Didn't know if we should call you "fireman" any longer. You are retired you know.)
Aw, that's just a little "lot rot", in the Southland rotors will rust overnight during the humid parts of the year. When I was a young 'un we'd sit on the porch on August nights listening to the brake drums on the Bel Air rusting for fun.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

The Wifes Mopar has a much better design on her fasteners. 2 piece, almost like house 'wall anchors'..

You pull out the center pin & it releases the 2nd part that grabs tight to the fender, re-usable over & over, with no damage to them..

Auto parts has generic ones like this, cause that's where I grabbed some for my ride...
Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
The Wifes Mopar has a much better design on her fasteners. 2 piece, almost like house 'wall anchors'..

You pull out the center pin & it releases the 2nd part that grabs tight to the fender, re-usable over & over, with no damage to them..

Auto parts has generic ones like this, cause that's where I grabbed some for my ride...
HHRs have those on the trailing edge of the door interior trim panels, I like the idea, but if you push too far on the pin it falls out the back and gets lost easily.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by prod
HHRs have those on the trailing edge of the door interior trim panels, I like the idea, but if you push too far on the pin it falls out the back and gets lost easily.
prod- I don't see how that could happen with the pins the Mopar has & I'm using, since both parts have heads on them that would prevent this.

I have to look at my door trim panel tho..
Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah those Mopar pins are great, unless one is clumsy and rips the center post out or breaks it. Oh, no, not me!!! ~cough cough~

Quick Reply: Rear Inner Fender Well