Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Remote start option question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 PM

Remote start option question

Does anyone know what is required to add remote start to my HHR? It currently does not have it and I am wondering if it would be cost effective to add it later. Thanks in advance. Curly
Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 PM

I will quote ChevyMgr from another thread asking the same question "Sorry but GM still isn't offering remote start as an add on option for the HHR."
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 PM

Don't most add-on security systems have a remote start option? I know my Clifford alarm did 12 years ago.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 AM

You'll need to buy an aftermarket system. Choices are plentiful but make sure the installer knows what they are doing.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 AM

i've had 3 remoted starts in my last 4 vehicles. 2 of them were after market and the last being the hhr. i HATED the 2 after market ones. The first one i had installed and was never happy with it, and the second came with it used and i would barely use it since i disliked it so much.

I do however like the factory one, although i've only used it a few times. Once when it was about 95 out and my parents were visiting, so as they got ready to go to the car i clicked it from the apartment and had it start cooling down. We'll see how it does this winter.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM

twistrman, what didn't you like about the aftermarket systems? The one we have in our Ford works pretty well. I'll admit that having it integrated into the factory remote is nice, but in the Ford we had the programming done to allow our remote starter remote replace the OEM remote (lock/unlock) so we wouldn't have to carry two of them around.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM

in my last vehicle a 99 Jimmy, the after market remote would lock and unlock the doors just fine but it would not turn on the alarm, coudln't get it to do that part, so it was useless on the fact. If it doesn't turn the alarm on there's no point.

Both of them also just didn't seem to work that great as starters. The ones i have in the HHR is great, works everytime, easy to use, easy to stop and works like it should, integrated into the sytem from the manufacturer.

The after market ones were just sketchy. Cant' really describe it, but i just didn't like them. The last on on the Jimmy was already there so i just hardly used it. Plus if it was really cold out (perfect time to use it) like 10 degrees out, it wouldn't start the car, it would try a few times and give up and then then engine would be disabled for like 5 minutes. But try it in warmer weather and it would be just fine.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM

From my own experience with my wife's Equinox......certain General Motors BCM's have the code and just need to be programmed. If this was possible, you would also need a different fob. Unfortunately, the "Nox did not have the code for remote start (I also checked with a parts guy.....nope wrong BCM), so I ended up with aftermarket. I was a bit fearful of this because all of the electronics in GM vehicle seem to be sensitive, so I bought it through the dealer. They warranty the vendor's work as long as I own the car. It operates a bit differently than factory, and there is an annoying flashing light above the rearview mirror, but my wife's butt slides onto a warm seat on cold days. That's very important if you want your marriage to survive. 28 years in a couple of weeks....just by saying "yes dear".